Don't Blame Garfield ...

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Don't Blame Garfield ...

Postby radiofan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:41 am

Dell addresses complaints of laptops smelling like cat pee

By Christian Bryant
Courtesy of Newsy.com

A senior technical consultant at Dell took to the computer company’s online forum to clear the odorous air this week, after Dell consumers complained of their laptops smelling like litter boxes.
Since June, consumers have been blowing up a Dell online forum saying the new Latitude 6430u Ultrabook smelled like cat pee. Probably not an issue computer buyers were ready to deal with.
But Dell’s Steve B. emerged a hero Wednesday, saying the issue was caused by “a manufacturing process that has now been changed. ... Dell has determined that the smell is not at all related to cat urine or any biological contaminate.”

Steve’s solution came after users dumped some pretty hilarious and downright disturbing complaints in a forum simply titled “New 6430u smells awful”:
“I thought for sure one of my cats sprayed it,” “I want you to know that I killed our 1 year old cat thinking that it was [peeing] on my computer each night,” and then there was, well, this.
I mean, I’d be pretty upset, too, if I spent more than $1,000 on something that smelled like a feline urinal. (Via New York Daily News)

Diligent Dell employees kept users abreast of their progress in identifying the problem while offering failed suggestions such as cleaning the keyboard with a soft cloth — before Steve saved the day. (Via Boing Boing)
Steve also said the new 6430u Ultrabooks shouldn’t have an odor problem. Dell has offered to replace the key stench component in the older laptops.

- See more at: http://www.whio.com/news/news/national/ ... Z5IbW.dpuf
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Don't Blame Garfield ...

Postby slowhand » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:02 am

If they haven't already done so, Dell should get a patent and sell it to the high bidder in the movie industry for their upcoming launch of Smell O Vision in a theatre near you.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:16 am

I wonder if it glows under an ultra violet light?
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:50 pm

I'm surprised some pet supply company doesn't take a closer look at designing a litter box like a computer keyboard. In my experience, they are unmatched for attracting, collecting and holding every crumb that falls near one.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News