Issues: Broadcast History - December 30

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Issues: Broadcast History - December 30

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:35 am

DO NOT click on the links to the airchecks. I did and ran into a world of pop ups and phishing. I will now be spending an hour or so running malware programs and anti virus to try and clean this shit out.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: Broadcast History - December 30

Postby jon » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:21 am

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:DO NOT click on the links to the airchecks. I did and ran into a world of pop ups and phishing. I will now be spending an hour or so running malware programs and anti virus to try and clean this shit out.

Extremely weird!

I'm not home but I just clicked on both and immediately heard Lan's voice on the media player that comes with Windows Phone 8.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:35 am

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:DO NOT click on the links to the airchecks. I did and ran into a world of pop ups and phishing. I will now be spending an hour or so running malware programs and anti virus to try and clean this shit out.

I've just clicked on both and the airchecks played with no problem and no pop ups of any kind.

Totally bizarre.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:34 am

Turns out I picked up a stubborn little Trojan commonly known as an FLV player which causes constant pop-ups and re-directs to occur. This one only affects the Chrome browser, my old I.E. browsers works fine and seems unaffected.
I definitely acquired this the moment I clicked on the link to the aircheck but it's likely I effected the problem myself by clicking on something I should not have while trying to exit. Just be careful out there guys and girls.
My Avast found it but, as wrote, it is quite stubborn and re-infects if you don't immediately follow up with a "boot-scan" before re-starting.
BTW, I am actually mildly impressed on how clean and efficiently the I.E. is working. It plays Youtube and Netflix noticeably better than Chrome or Firefox previously did.
Later today, when I don't need to use the computer for a couple of hours, I will run the Avast again and follow up with the boot-scan I neglected last run through.
If anyone has any further tips to thoroughly clean this, feel free to offer suggestions.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: Issues: Broadcast History - December 30

Postby PMC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Don't know about the Windows version of Chrome, but in Linux, the install of add ons can be turned off. My rule is, no website installs on my computer. If a site needs to install on my computer, I don't go there. IE and Firefox have similar switches/check boxes to stop any install.
PMC

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:57 pm

Boy this one is a beeyotch. It's an adware32 virus that has imbedded itself deeply into the Chrome browser. The antivirus has it quarantined. The boot-scan i.d. ed a second time it and I moved into the vault from there. Uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and reset to a system restore point from before the incident. All without success. I hate to admit defeat but, for now, I've uninstalled Chrome and am keeping my other two browsers. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Internet Explorer that I rarely utilize has been operating surprisingly satisfactorily and I also chose to uninstall and re-install Firefox. I had ceased relying on that as my default a few months back when it began acting a bit buggy (flash player not responding and such) so I thought a fresh start with Mozilla as a number two browser might be in order. Don't think I'll be missing Chrome.
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:Boy this one is a beeyotch. It's an adware32 virus that has imbedded itself deeply into the Chrome browser. The antivirus has it quarantined. The boot-scan i.d. ed a second time it and I moved into the vault from there. Uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and reset to a system restore point from before the incident. All without success. I hate to admit defeat but, for now, I've uninstalled Chrome and am keeping my other two browsers. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Internet Explorer that I rarely utilize has been operating surprisingly satisfactorily and I also chose to uninstall and re-install Firefox. I had ceased relying on that as my default a few months back when it began acting a bit buggy (flash player not responding and such) so I thought a fresh start with Mozilla as a number two browser might be in order. Don't think I'll be missing Chrome.

Don't know the version of the OS, but if you have an old Windows version on disc, then you can create a new boot sector, or overwite the existing boot sector, which is probably where and why the virus keeps coming back... it is hidden where the boot sector says it is. The dos command is `fdisk /mbr' without quotes.

Open a command window as admin in your windows version and try this... you may have to do it from the CD for it to work properly, and it won't do any harm... probably only complain that it can't unmount the drive, thus the need for the cd OS version.
PMC

Postby xwdcatvb » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:04 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:Boy this one is a beeyotch. It's an adware32 virus that has imbedded itself deeply into the Chrome browser. The antivirus has it quarantined. The boot-scan i.d. ed a second time it and I moved into the vault from there. Uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and reset to a system restore point from before the incident. All without success. I hate to admit defeat but, for now, I've uninstalled Chrome and am keeping my other two browsers. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Internet Explorer that I rarely utilize has been operating surprisingly satisfactorily and I also chose to uninstall and re-install Firefox. I had ceased relying on that as my default a few months back when it began acting a bit buggy (flash player not responding and such) so I thought a fresh start with Mozilla as a number two browser might be in order. Don't think I'll be missing Chrome.

You don't say what OS you're using, but some of your wording suggests Windows. In that case, uninstalling and reinstalling Moz Firefox won't do a scrap of good, as the nasty will be somewhere in your 'profile'.

Download 'Spybot Search & Destroy' and 'Malwarebytes'; both are reliable and available as freeware... but make sure you're downloading directly from the developer site, not the likes of CNET. Spybot is a bit confusing to use at first, having two separate major functions - immunize and scan for problems. Malwarebytes is straight forward.

As for Firefox, I hope you're keeping up with the newest version which is 34.0.5. It and updated Adobe Flash work flawlessly for me on Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:44 pm

Good point... if the machine is Windows, create a new user name and delete the old username, which should delete the old user's profile file...

All the installed software is available to the new username.
PMC

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:05 pm

OR - you can buy a MAC, Get MacKeeper - and your troubles are over.

Just sayin'
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:Just sayin'

agree with that...
PMC

Postby xwdcatvb » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:40 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:OR - you can buy a MAC, Get MacKeeper - and your troubles are over.

Just sayin'

<sigh> Apple product is inherently no less hackable than Windows... just that the naughty boys won't waste their time because the damage and 'success rate' is less satisfying/demonstrable. Do a quick search.

In 20 years of very novice knowledge usage of Windows 3/XP/7, I've never been hit/infected by a virus/denial of service.

And my, um, web activities are...gee... questionable at times.

Common sense... basic protection... and not believing everything others proclaiming to be experts say.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:53 am

First of all, thanks gentlemen for all your input and advice. I need to hunt around through boxes to try and locate the Windows 7 disc in order to initiate the over-write suggestion. As was opined here, it couldn't hurt.
I can't imagine I failed to pack it for the move a year and half ago and there would have been no reason to leave it behind with my ex ( she's IPad and Mac lap-top all the way...she always was the smart one in our relationship).
One more time, I will say, that the weird part about this nasty is that it clearly only appears when running Chrome and shows no sign of migrating to other browsers....yet.
My Avast, both initial full scan and boot-scan follow-up, identified it as adware related specifically to Chrome.
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:10 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote: My Avast, both initial full scan and boot-scan follow-up, identified it as adware related specifically to Chrome.

NS, Wouldn't an "easy fix" be to dump Chrome and use another browser? Or would the problem still sit dormant in your system?
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:04 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:NS, Wouldn't an "easy fix" be to dump Chrome and use another browser? Or would the problem still sit dormant in your system?

Exactly the solution point I am at currently.
Chrome is uninstalled and Firefox and IE are both fine.
This allows me the luxury of seeking out a solution to the initial problem. I don't see any need nor reason to reinstall Chrome later on. I just have the sort of nature that needs to solve puzzles.
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Computer & Technology News