Windows 10

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Re: Windows 10

Postby jon » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:12 pm

If you are a Windows 8 user, you will need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 before you can upgrade to Windows 10.

Windows 7 users can upgrade directly to Windows 10.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:34 am

Six machines of various ages and previous operating systems (including two state of the art HP desktops) upgraded to Windows 10 with zero problems.
And anyone bitching about privacy, that disappeared when computers first began arriving on the scene.
Everything you do, buy or whatever is tracked today.
Case in point, we were overcharged for an item at Costco and received a letter of apology and a coupon.
They know what you bought, where you bought it, how much you paid for it, when and how often you return things, etc.
Anything you buy with plastic (debit or credit) is tracked.
The only thing that continues to amaze me is how screwed up are the governments at all levels with so many systems that don't talk to each other, leading to endless dumps of paper that could be eliminated with one system for all functions.
Yes, it's Big Brother but if you don't want anyone tracking you, you have to go completely off the grid and pay cash for everything, never revealing your identity or details to anyone.
Good luck with that!
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Windows 10 may be a free download, but I don't have to buy it.

All this OS release proves to me is, there are to many people in Redmond with more money than brain cells.
PMC

Postby PMC » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:35 am

CNN has a piece with some details for those seeking more.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/17/technol ... =obnetwork
PMC

Postby jon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:49 am

Great CNN article! Thanks for finding it, PMC.

Even if Windows 10 does not worry you, the article provides a good starting place for privacy settings worth thinking about changing. The first point, for example, talks about all the personal info sent to Microsoft to make its Cortana virtual assistant work. It seems needlessly risky to let Windows 10 do that if you don't plan to use Cortana.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:42 am

As the original Guardian piece points out, you are tied to the internet for many of the functions. When you don't have an internet connection, that tool becomes useless. For many years I have stated (probably here previously) I buy a computer and its operating system for my benefit and not theirs. Locking all things to the internet is absurd. The user sits and waits for all things to time out. Remember that piece of garbage called XP when you lost the internet connection and the OS would sit and wait, and wait while the internal spy system came to see that it could not call home and verify that you did not rip off poor Bill and his minions :lol:

Caveate Emptor !
PMC

Postby PMC » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:00 pm

Don't know if this link will work for all...

http://blogs.wsj.com/personal-technolog ... k/?mod=ST2

The piece covers installing Win10 on a MacBook as a virtual process... it runs in its own box, and won't bother the Apple iOS.

It is a free trial and will cost you $120 u.s. or $140 cdn after a month, should you wish to go with it... some techies might appreciate the depth of this.
PMC

Postby PMC » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:59 pm

More possible carnage from the force feeding of Windows 10

http://globalnews.ca/news/2219589/micro ... 8-1-users/

If you have automatic downloads set, then it will upgrade your Windows 8 and 7.
PMC

Previous

Return to Computer & Technology News