A computer problem to get things started

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Postby radiofan » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:59 pm

Guys...can you help?

I have a problem with the stupid computer. When I have an email that refers me to a web site..I can usually click on that address and it goes right away to that site. Now, nothing is working. Sometimes I can put and paste, but other times no address is shown....it simply says...click here. QWhen I do, nothing happens. Any ideas? I do have virus protection...I have scanned the computer from top to bottom, and nothing shows up.

Thanks for any help you can give me

John
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:54 am

Difficult to diagnose without actually seeing the screen...

Is the link highlighted in another colour.. if it is not, then it is not a real link.

The problem may not be in the e-mail link, but within the operating system, as it does not catch the call of the link when you click it.

This can be caused by several things like your DNS domain name server not being found. The DNS does a lookup on the http pathname and converts that name to a physical IP address.

If you can type in an address in the web browser and it works, then it is not the DNS.

You can start by saying which web browser and e-mail software that you are using when this occurs, also which version of the operating system... Window's 98, 98SE, ME, XP, Win2k... or are you using a flavour of Linux ?

Also state which version of the browser/e-mail software... click in the about menu item for this.

Here is an address to try, and it will also get you a very good and free anti-virus anti spamware scanner software that I highly recommend if you use Windows.

http://www.clamwin.com/

It is fairly easy to setup after you download it... the program default settings are ok, but common sense can prevail on what is good for you etc.
PMC

Postby jon » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:42 am

Everything John is saying, from my experience, points to a problem with the e-mail software package. Although it is also possible that the default web browser got set within the operating system (presumably Windows) to a web browser that is not working.

As PMC says, it is hard to advise anything without knowing:
  • what operating system?
  • what e-mail software?
  • what browser software?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:52 am

from John June 8 - this further info may help those trying to help - my suggestion was to use system restore which I find helpful at tims.

Can either of you help? Whenever I click on to a URL, let's say on a radiowest page or even on an email that has a link to another site....nothing happens. Usually, I get a one word message..."done"....... in the bottom left corner of the screen if I am on a web site.
Also if I happen to close my browser by mistake, I have to re-boot the computer in order to re-open the browser.

Any help would be appreciated.

John
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:04 pm

Sorry - here's the info you need....

Windows XP -
Firefox browser
IncrediMail Premium email

160G hard-drive
256 mb Ram

I thought by downloading and re-installing Firefox it might solve the problem - it didn't. I have even downloaded the newer version - no change. And its frustrating because I like Firefox better than Internet Explorer.

Hope that gives you more info on my system

Thanks all
John S.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:27 pm

Go back to Windows, Outlook Express and Internet Explorer - bet you won't have a problem
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:53 pm

Top Dog's additional comments quoted from John (browser won't restart without a reboot) would move my finger pointing at your e-mail software. Nothing comes to mind, mainly because I've never used either Firefox or IncrediMail. And my 5 years experience with Windows XP says that reinstalls of Windows are usually only required for virus infections.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:20 pm

I would look at replacing Incredimail ... when I used it a few years ago, it was nothing but problems ... the only neat thing about it was the cat jumping up on the screen and meowing when I had new mail. :o
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:32 pm

was the cat blue??

nother subject nother time rf
butch
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:43 pm

johnsykes wrote: Windows XP -
Firefox browser
IncrediMail Premium email

Firefox is great, I use it under Windoze and Linux.

If you only have issues with the links in IncrediMail, then it could be the culprit.

Try setting up and using Outlook Express for mail, then try the links with it.

You can also download Thunderbird from Mozilla and use it, rather than OE.

If you get the same negative effects with these other two products, then it would require further investigation.
PMC

Postby jon » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:40 pm

The first place that I would start would be to ensure that there REALLY are no viruses on the machine. John didn't say which anti-virus software he has installed, and they are definitely NOT all created equal.

The majors offer free scanners on-line. Why not try Symantec's at http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_home...ndex_virus.html?

In case you have to cut and paste, I'll code it below to avoid the .... in the link shown
http://
www.symantec.com/
techsupp/home_homeoffice
/index_virus.html
jon
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:42 pm

Seriously Mr. Sykes the people who are troubled with their computers are amateurs who think they can download and try just about anything.

That is a learning experience for sure.

The tried and true system is to buy a computer and use the programs on it.

In the end you are not plagued trouble with a capital T

IMHO
butch
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:29 pm

That may have been true once, but I'd say that the majority of problems today are caused by people not running reputable regularly-updated anti-virus software on their machine, with "real-time protection" set to on.

But, you have hit on problem #2 -- software that gets installed without your knowledge and consent. And Windows XP has a great solution for the problem -- create a User Name with Limited, not Administrator, abilities, and use it. Only use an Admin User Name when you truly do need to download software.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:02 pm

So some of you have figured out I am an amateur.....ok so be it. Also an amateur at playing the wonderful game of golf......and probably, according to my wife....no, I wont go any further.

I'd rather rant on in my choice of what life is all about......sport. This machine is way down the line....if something happens that shouldn't...then I get upset. I admire Bill Gates and his ability to make money......and others who do too......it just ticks me off when things happen just when I want to do something else.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:22 pm

JP

can you elucidate a bit more on how the second account (non administrator)
protects you and the computer. Does it:

protect you from those little things that download without your permission?
protect you from something you want to download but will make it hard to do?

more info is good
butch
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Computer & Technology News