PassPoint & Shaw Wi-Fi Hot Spot Naming Confusion

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

PassPoint & Shaw Wi-Fi Hot Spot Naming Confusion

Postby jon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:50 pm

For Shaw Internet customers, it used to be pretty straight-forward: for a given smartphone, authenticate yourself once and you automatically were connected to any ShawOpen Wi-Fi Hotspot you encountered in your travels.

Then, in the last month or two, ShawGo appeared, sometimes replacing an existing ShawOpen hot spot, but, more often than not, appearing alongside. In the latter case, it paid to check both, as there were usually huge Link Speed differences.

Now, in the last couple of days, Shaw PassPoint has appeared in a couple of locations I've visited. Even if you are authenticated to ShawOpen/ShawGo (one authentication covered both), you are not automatically connected to Shaw PassPoint. When you click on PassPoint, you get several choices of connections, and no clear way to just say: "I'm already authenticated to ShawOpen/ShawGo, so just connect me already".

Nothing much on the Shaw web site on the subject, but I did find this:
http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi- ... -passpoint

Some sort of industry standard launched in 2012.

I suspect Shaw is still in the experimental stage with Passpoint.

TELUS, meanwhile, has only one or two #TELUS or #TELUSDirect Wi-Fi hotspots that I have found to date here in Edmonton. No authentication is required for TELUS Mobility customers.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: PassPoint & Shaw Wi-Fi Hot Spot Naming Confusion

Postby jon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:46 pm

Finally solved this puzzle. Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile's customers who install and open the Freedom Wi-Fi app, are connecting to Shaw Passpoint, which gives them everything that ShawOpen provides, and more. Phone calls can be made without incurring cellular charges, for example.

Shaw Internet customers can use ShawOpen on any wi-fi device by registering its Mac Address.

Freedom Mobile customers can use Shaw Passpoint through the Freedom Wi-Fi app.

I believe that anyone can use ShawGo.

Shaw provides a fourth "type" of Wi-Fi hot spot to some Cities, again free for anyone to use. Edmonton calls theirs Open City Wi-Fi.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News