The Passing of a Pioneer of Digital Audio Editing

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

The Passing of a Pioneer of Digital Audio Editing

Postby jon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Many Production Gurus in Radio and Television cut their teeth on Cool Edit.

Many of us who could not afford Cool Edit, ended up with Cool Edit 96. My recollection is a little dim, but you could get your feet wet for free, before paying the fairly affordable purchase price. Cool Edit 96 had no shortage of great features, and I really didn't find myself wanting for features only available in Cool Edit (which became Adobe Audition).

I was never a cutting and splicing kind of guy, instead opting for multiple reel to reel decks and a cart machine or two, to put Production together back "In the Day". Not that I couldn't splice, as tape did occasionally break. Digital Audio Editing is, however, something I am quite happy to do, these days opting for the Open Source free software known as Audacity. But I'm still appreciative that Mr. Ellison and the folks at Syntrillium offered Cool Edit 96 to those of us without a large budget.
Robert LeRoy Ellison, age 51, died suddenly from complications of type 1 diabetes on Saturday, November 11, 2017. Bob was born in Phoenix, Arizona on December 31, 1965. He grew up in Phoenix and spent much of his adult life there. A graduate of Arcadia High School in Phoenix (1983) Bob was the most accomplished musician in his class, playing trumpet and keyboard. Playing and listening to music remained his life-long passion, which he would later share with his sons. He attended Harvard College and graduated with a degree in Government (1989). Bob and his wife, Alexandra (Gablentz), moved to Seattle, Washington, where Bob was hired by Microsoft Corporation as a software tester. There he became close friends with his future business partner, David Johnston. Returning to Phoenix in 1991, Bob took a job with Mastersoft Inc. where he worked on the business side of the software industry. Four years later, Bob and David Johnston started a new venture, Syntrillium Software Corporation, which was acclaimed for its transformative audio editing product, Cool Edit!. In 2003, Syntrillium was acquired by Adobe, and Bob retired to Holicong, Pennsylvania, with his family. Bob loved sports and was a talented athlete who could pick up a new sport and quickly become highly competitive. During his lifetime, he excelled at racquet ball, bowling, pool, tennis and golf. In his leisure, he enjoyed reading, blogging and discussing government and politics. Bob had a quirky sense of humor and rapier wit. He had a huge heart and always was willing to give support and care to family, friends, neighbors and even casual acquaintances. A loving son, Bob maintained close communications with his parents. Bob's four sons were his greatest joy. He devoted his time to cooking for them, transporting and counseling them, enjoying their successes and consoling them through difficult times. As the boys grew up, they became Bob's best friends. Bob was preceded in death earlier this year by his father, A. LeRoy Ellison. He is survived by his mother, Kate Morrow Ellison of Paradise Valley, Arizona, his siblings, Adam James Ellison (Jennifer) of Corning, New York, and Sarah Ellison Porter (Clark) of Phoenix, Arizona, and by his four beloved sons, Benjamin, Noah, John, and Lucas, and by many loving nieces and nephews. Family and friends are invited to Bob's Life Celebration, from 10-11am, Thurs. Nov 16th at Leaver/Cable of Buckingham, Rte 202 & Quarry Rd., and to participate in his Memorial Service at 11am. Interment will be private. To share your fondest memories of Bob, please visit http://www.lifecelebration.com
Published in The Arizona Republic on Nov. 15, 2017
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News