NAT Routers

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Postby PMC » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:42 pm

I found a Linux based open source router that boots from a CD, or can be installed on a machine.

The website is here http://www.vyatta.com/

You have to log in to do the ISO file download. Burn the ISO file to a CD as track and not as a data file, for it to autoboot.

Download from the Vyatta website all the docs for it... there are 3 files, all PDF and not part of the download CD.

The software does many things in protocols, and has a NAT too.( Network Address Translator)

Why is this better than an off the shelf NAT router, it will give better control, have a cooling system from the machine's fan, and keep complete logs on a hard disk.

This disc based Linux NAT router is not for the typical home user, unless you have a spare machine, and twin network cards to create the firewall and NAT.

If you don't know what a NAT router is/does, and specificly if you don't have one, then you should get one for your internet connection.

Get a standard retail one, rather than a wireless, as they are cheaper and more secure... if you have a wireless laptop, and get a wireless NAT router, then make sure that you use 128 bit encryption and turn off its broadcast ability.

Retail prices for a consumer home based NAT router start around $60 depending on the number of ports it has... the device allows more than one computer to be plugged into it, and creates an internal network, called a LAN for local area network, and the ISP is the WAN for wide area network.

Places like FutureShop or the computer department of London Drugs sell them. I recommend Linksys which is owned by Cisco as forst choice, or a Dlink model.

The Linux disc based router is aimed more for people that have high traffic flow on their internet connection.

This is the wiki on how a NAT router works

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
PMC

Postby jon » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:23 pm

I and a lot of my friends have had D-Link DI-604 routers for several years, most of which I've purchased for them on Boxing Day sales for $9.95 after mail-in rebate. Never had any problems with them, though I have updated firmware as it became available for download. Originally switched to it after TELUS ADSL Support suggested replacing my NICs and router with all D-Link gear to solve my ("hanging") issues with their 3Com network, and the silly software they run on it that checks every IP packet to be sure I'm not using any MAC addresses I haven't registered. It worked, but my guess after the fact is that the Win XP drivers for my off-brand NICs were at fault.

The DI-604 is still around, though futureshop.ca and londondrugs.com currently want $44.95 for it, which other sites list it for $49.95. Unless you are in a hurry, I'd wait for a sale.

I, like PMC, am a big fan of NAT technology, since it eliminates the vulnerability of a direct (hacker) attack against the operating system if you rely solely on a software firewall.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:09 pm

The price of $60 that I quoted is the B.C. price, an extra $10 to come over the rockies, though the product comes from Japan :)

If you ever get seriously bored, try comparing the Sears catalogue from Alberta to the one issued in B.C. and then question why things are cheaper in Alberta from the same company... especially on electronic goods which come from Japan and through the port of Vancouver... that being a different thread etc.

Although jonedmonton says wait for a bargain, I suggest you buy one soon, if you don't have a NAT. The default settings will block all inbound traffic to your machine, which stops the crackers that want to use your machine for their purposes, like sending out spam mail, or doing what are called DDos attacks or worse things like virus.

Shaw as an ISP provides a software firewall, however a physical device NAT router is much better... most other ISP's leave you to defend yourself. There is firewall software to stop attacks or intrusion, but for the cost of it, you are better off with the hardware NAT device.... any EPROM upgrades for the NAT device are free to download and install. EPROM is Electrically Programmable Read Only Memory for those that didn't know. It is the brains of the device.
PMC

Postby PMC » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:55 pm

One more bit on NAT routers...

Telus is now offering a combined NAT router and ADSL modem as one unit.

The brand is a DLink... if you have Telus for internet, but only have the ADSL modem, you may want to call their tech support and see if there is any kind of upgrade available, if you don't already have a NAT device.
PMC

Return to Computer & Technology News