Virtual memory

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Postby johnsykes » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:53 pm

I keep getting messages on a daily basis that my virtual memory is low...isn't virtual memory like RAM? I have System Mechanic that keeps things very clean.....I have 256 Megs of RAM....System Mechanic tells me my RAM is only 36% used.....any ideas???
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:41 pm

I liked your first line John - you could have left it at that.

Don't wreck the story with details
butch
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:49 pm

I had the same problem after I upgraded to 512MB of memory. I had forgotten that I had hand-set the amount of virtual memory (Page File size on disk), instead of letting Windows manage it. After I turned things over to Windows, my problems went away.

Presuming you are using Windows XP's "new look", hit the Start button, click on Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System (near the bottom of the choices), click on the Advanced tab, in the Performance section, click on the Settings button, click on the Advanced tab, in the Virtual Memory section, click on the Change button, select System Managed Size and hit the OK button. It may grind away for a while before it finishes.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:55 pm

johnsykes wrote: I keep getting messages on a daily basis that my virtual memory is low...isn't virtual memory like RAM? I have System Mechanic that keeps things very clean.....I have 256 Megs of RAM....System Mechanic tells me my RAM is only 36% used.....any ideas???

The more physical memory in the machine, the larger the pagefile which is hard disk based memory, and labeled as virtual memory.

Follow `jonedmonton's advice and let Windows manage it.

If you still get the message, then your hard disk is getting full in the eyes of the OS, so start deleting files that never get used, such as old webpages that are stored, and this will allow a larger page file (virtual memory) to be created.
PMC

Postby PMC » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:43 pm

johnsykes wrote: I keep getting messages on a daily basis that my virtual memory is low...isn't virtual memory like RAM? I have System Mechanic that keeps things very clean.....I have 256 Megs of RAM....System Mechanic tells me my RAM is only 36% used.....any ideas???

Found this link which you or others may find useful.

How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482/en-us
PMC

Postby butch » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:42 am

John has a new computer and doesn't do a lot of work on it as far I know

His system is not working right and he needs a clean sweep.

He is, though. experimental and probably downloads or allows downloads that are a problem

I say this from a remote location without the true facts. I have several computers and never have a problem

Install Norton and AVG - dont take strange emails and programs and use the puter as a tool and not a toy.
butch
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News