Free Wi-Fi in Edmonton

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Free Wi-Fi in Edmonton

Postby jon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:08 pm

Last time I checked, a few months back, freely accessible Wi-Fi in Edmonton was easier to find by looking for unsecured home networks (which is actually illegal) than it was elsewhere. That is saying something given how few unsecured wireless home networks I'm finding these days. For example, I can see about a dozen networks from right here in my house. All are secured. The last unsecured one appears to have gone to the eco centre about 6 months ago.

The public libraries and a few downtown spots setup by the City were about it. I had checked the supposedly free sites listed on a few Internet web sites and found that most were either dead or required a security code.

A recent article in the newspaper caught my eye. Some chain or another claimed to be, as of last week, offering truly free Wi-Fi, unlike the coffee shops that give customers free access through a security code that changes daily. Now, one of the restaurants I haunt has a small sign on the door "Wi-Fi". I asked the folks I knew running the front desk and they said that they were told nothing about it. Given how well the place is run, that MUST mean "No Security Code required".

Maybe, at last, Edmonton is going to start catching up with the rest of the country's major cities. And have widespread free Wi-Fi "hot spots".

On the other hand, my favourite spot (I even do their web site) knows that they have to think very carefully before they head down the Wi-Fi road. Otherwise, they'll have students from the local university (population 25,000) camped out all day, making it impossible for people who actually want to eat there to find a table. I've explained one option: buy an entree and you are entitled to 90 minutes of Wi-Fi, through the use of changing/multiple security codes. They have been through a similar situation in the last few months as 3 new restaurants opened within half a block from them, but with no parking of their own. So, it forced them to turn their parking lot into a Pay Lot with patrons exempt for 90 minutes by simply signing in when they come in. Everybody else gets a parking ticket unless they pay $4/hour from a dispenser in the lot.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Free Wi-Fi in Edmonton

Postby jon » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:51 pm

Edmonton International Airport offers free Wi-Fi
edmontonjournal.com
July 31, 2010

EDMONTON — Free wireless Internet landed at the international airport Friday.

It’s part of a drive to connect with customers using all the popular online tools and services, Edmonton International Airport CEO Reg Milley said.

“Free Wi-Fi joins our array of technology and online offerings, such as the new Hudson News ‘Tech on the Go’ store and our flight information screen for mobile devices. We’re also connecting with our customers through social media.”

EIA’s Facebook page gives an inside view of the airport’s day-to-day operations and community involvement. On Twitter, EIA is working to inform customers about weather or other conditions that may impact them, Milley said.

Six business workstations with wired Internet connections have been installed in the domestic/international passenger lounge area.

The cost of the service is recuperated through advertising, he added.

Current EIA Facebook fans and those who sign up before Aug. 13 can win prizes that include $1,000 travel voucher, a 32-gigabyte IPod Touch, and free parking.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Free Wi-Fi in Edmonton

Postby PMC » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:59 pm

jon wrote:Last time I checked, a few months back, freely accessible Wi-Fi in Edmonton was easier to find by looking for unsecured home networks (which is actually illegal) than it was elsewhere.

Notebooks, the iPhone and others with WiFi, will create an over demand on the system... as occured in the Steve Jobs demo when he asked the audience to shut off their WiFi connections so that he could get a connection to do his demo... that was priceless in showing the use/demand of the technology now, and what the future will be.
PMC

Return to Computer & Technology News