issues connecting to the internet

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

issues connecting to the internet

Postby bryguy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:54 am

Hi there;
I have a pc with windows 7 and sometimes it has issues connecting to the internet.
I use an adaptive program called system access to go which is a web based program that rads whatever is on my screen.
Once the system is initally booted up the internet connection is no problem.
After signing out and connecting again for some reason there is no internet connection.
I use avg 9 and have scanned my computer and had no virus infections.
Any idea what the source of the problem could be?
any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
bryguy
bryguy
Advanced Member

Re: issues connecting to the internet

Postby jawbone » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:21 am

You have left a lot of information out here.
For example, do you PAY for an internet connection, or are you trying to scoop it from someone else.
If you're paying for it, a call to your ISP should be your first move.
jawbone
Advanced Member

Postby bryguy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:31 am

I use telus high speed internet.
bryguy
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:52 pm

bryguy wrote:Hi there;
I have a pc with windows 7 and sometimes it has issues connecting to the internet.
I use an adaptive program called system access to go which is a web based program that rads whatever is on my screen.
After signing out and connecting again for some reason there is no internet connection.
Thanks,
bryguy

Yeah I'm with Jawbone, you may want to call the ISP, but I'll give it a shot here...

What you're saying is, you turn the computer on, there's internet, then you log off the computer itself and then log back onto your Windows profile and you have no internet connection? Does rebooting solve the issue?

It sounds like the easiest thing to do would be to just simply never log off of your Windows Profile, but I know this isn't always practical for security reasons though. Also, not that this might make any difference but is it wireless or wired (with a network cable directly to the modem/router)? I had a laptop that, every time I closed the lid, when I opened it again I would have to turn the wireless button off on my laptop, then turn it back on for it to re-connect. However when I decided to run some network cable and connect it that way, it was fine when I closed and opened the lid (there was probably just a setting in XP at the time that I was missing but it wasn't that big a deal, I just either never closed the lid, or just turned off the wireless before I did so I knew I'd have to turn it back on again). I know that Windows 7 has a lot of power features like that, where if you log off or close the lid of a laptop or do a lot of things, by default it takes power away from certain components, putting them in sleep mode, which messes up wireless connections.

It does not sound like the issue has anything to do with your "System Access To Go" software.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:20 pm

bryguy wrote:Hi there;
Thanks,
bryguy

It is possible that the network card itself is set to auto shut off or go to sleep... check the settings of the card by clicking on the network icon. Click Properties, Configure, and then Power Management... keep it alive etc.

If you have a NAT router then give it a network name of your choice, it should then be configured in Windows 7 with that name. If Windows 7 looks at the router and doesn't see a network name, then it will shut down the link...

All is difficult to diagnose via the web etc.
PMC

Return to Computer & Technology News