Facebook down worldwide? Sept 23

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Facebook down worldwide? Sept 23

Postby Russ_Byth » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Facebook Crash – Facebook is Down
by: Canada Views | Sep 23rd, 2010

With reports from all four corners of the globe, we are official declaring Facebook Down.

Facebook crashed early in the afternoon in the Pacific Standard Timezone. Since then it’s been periodically up, but wach time Facebook has been slow.

Is this crash unprecedented? We are not sure. Does anyone else remember a Facebook Crash?

Anyways, keep your reports coming in. And we want to know… what are you doing instead of going on Facebook? Will you spend time outdoors?

http://www.canadaviews.ca/2010/09/23/fa ... k-is-down/

David Gura/NPR
Minutes ago, when I tried to access Facebook's website, I got this DNS error message.
It was supposed to be a good day for Facebook's public relations department. Its billionaire co-founder, Mark Zuckerberg, became a bonafide philanthropist, donating some $100 million to Newark Public Schools.

Then, Facebook crashed.

Cue the angry hordes!

TechCrunch's MG Siegeler posted this:

If you’re currently writing us an email to tip us that Facebook is down, you can stop — we’ve gotten a few hundred of those in the past few minutes. Yes, Facebook appears to be down at the moment. I’m currently getting a DNS failure message, others are apparently seeing other things.

I'm seeing the same thing he is, per above.

According to Daily News reporter Anjali Khosla Mullany, "the cause of the crash is currently unclear, but it's not the first time this week that Facebook has been down. Mashable.com reported yesterday that Facebook's website was briefly inaccesible on Wednesday."

TechCrunch has obtained a statement from Facebook: "We’re currently experiencing some site issues causing Facebook to be slow or unavailable for some users. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible."
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Re: Facebook down worldwide? Sept 23

Postby jon » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:03 pm

Be interesting to see if there are some lawsuits coming out of this.

When eBay first got huge in the late 1990s, and a lot of people sold on eBay as their full-time job, there were a lot of threats of lawsuits over mere slowdowns on the site, as last minute bids did not come in, and sellers ended up with a lower selling price.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Karen » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:27 pm

I hope no Farmville people lost their crops or had animals starve because they couldn't tend to them.
Karen
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:17 am

Karen wrote:I hope no Farmville people lost their crops or had animals starve because they couldn't tend to them.

Cute :tail
PMC

Postby Buckley » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:28 pm

jon wrote:Be interesting to see if there are some lawsuits coming out of this.

When eBay first got huge in the late 1990s, and a lot of people sold on eBay as their full-time job, there were a lot of threats of lawsuits over mere slowdowns on the site, as last minute bids did not come in, and sellers ended up with a lower selling price.

What could there possibly be a lawsuit over with Facebook being down though? Are people going to sue because they weren't able to RSVP to their friend's party at the last minute? Or is someone going to file over not being able to inform their friends that they were going to see a movie that night?

I suppose advertisers MIGHT have a legit beef, but no doubt there's something in the fine print that says they're not responsible for any sort of reimbursement if you advertise with them and they experience a little bit of downtime.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News