File???

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

File???

Postby johnsykes » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:09 am

When I re-boot the computer, a note comes up "Specified file could not be found". I have no idea what file that would be...all I have done is re-boot, not call for any file. Any ideas???
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Re: File???

Postby jon » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:24 am

I don't think there will be an easy answer to this one, other than to try and recover from the hard drive or backup, and start from scratch, BUT lets give this the old college try (this appears to be the day of the Metaphor at RadioWest.ca, so I thought I'd take my turn):
at what point doing the reboot are you getting this message?

Also, as a Back to Basics kind of guy, I'll also ask you to check if you have any diskette, CD, DVD, memory card (if you have a memory card reader built in) or ANY USB device plugged into your computer. If so, remove them all before rebooting, just in case your BIOS is messed up and thinks it should look some place other than your C: hard drive for the initial "boot file" when re-booting.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:25 am

Does it say the name of the file ?
PMC

Postby johnsykes » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:32 am

no, no name at all. It comes up just as the regular wallpaper screen comes on.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:43 am

OK, that sounds like you are a lot farther along in the Windows startup than it initially sounded.

It is probably a missing file specified in all the stuff that starts up when Windows is fully up and running. To verify this guess, try booting in Safe Mode. Instructions are here:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

I'm not suggesting you spend the rest of your life in Safe Mode, but boot in Safe Mode, verify it comes up properly, then shutdown. Then one of us will try and figure out how to determine which Startup program is the problem, if any.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:04 am

This may sound typical of the guy called Sykes....but I'm going to hold off getting into safe mode until I get my printer changed on Sunday. The current printer is shut down after consistently refusing to print due to the ink cartridges not moving. I have a new printer coming on Sunday, and will print the safe mode instructions before anything else. I'll let you both know when its done. And, thanks as always!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:22 am

If you can spare 10 cents or so (depending on the number of pages), you can print remotely in black ink only to your local Staples by installing print drivers on whatever computer you are using to read and write in this thread. Admittedly, it will probably take several business hours before the output is ready.

Start here:
http://www.staplescopyandprint.ca/Print ... nInfo.aspx
create an ID, logon and look for the download of printer drivers. Otherwise, you have to create an Adobe PDF file and submit it on-line. The printer drivers let you print anything you can print on your printer, and more.

UPS Stores have a similar service with not as many choices of paper, binding, etc.:
https://theupsstorecanada.webprint.com/home_en.php
and choose "Print a File from My Desktop"

UPS Store has a location in Abbotsford at Clearbrook Town Square 151 - 32500 South Fraser Way
jon
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:38 pm

The other thing I discovered today was a Downloads file.....it contains all the updates of CCleaner, IncrediMail and others for the whole year......despite me clearing the downloads once they're finished being installed. There must be something like 50 files of downloads. Can they be cleared out completely? It's not that I am short of space.....I'm only using about 20% if that of the hard drive.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:43 pm

johnsykes wrote:The other thing I discovered today was a Downloads file.....it contains all the updates of CCleaner, IncrediMail and others for the whole year......despite me clearing the downloads once they're finished being installed. There must be something like 50 files of downloads. Can they be cleared out completely? It's not that I am short of space.....I'm only using about 20% if that of the hard drive.

The files that you say that you deleted probably returned when you did `restore' for something else.

Your current problem seems to be a missing program file that is set to auto load. What have you deleted lately for demoware and when was the last time that you ran `restore'...
PMC

Postby johnsykes » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:32 pm

I ran restore about five days ago when the computer kept telling me that Firefox was running, and I re-booted, but it kept telling me Firefox needed to be closed before a program could do its job. The restore did the trick, but this "missing file" kept cropping up.

If all is ok to do it, I'll clean out the Downloads file.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:54 pm

what I can't figure is the old guy is using golfing and maybe the gremlins work on his puter when it is sunny

I have two computers in two rooms - I have never had the problems Sykes has. I do websites, blogs, gobs of pictures and editing.

Search etc.

What I don't do is download a lot. Downloads of screen savers, special personalized email and little emoticons etc can carry all kinds of garbage with them.

Spy bot is good
windows essentials is good
avast is good

scan your computer daily and quit fiddling - use microsoft unless you have an apple - the other stuff usually does not work well.

I have tried chrome, firefox but always go back to Gateswear - no matter how bad it is... Less trouble.

Kick your puter once a week and let it know who is boss.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:37 pm

johnsykes wrote:I ran restore about five days ago when the computer kept telling me that Firefox was running, and I re-booted, but it kept telling me Firefox needed to be closed before a program could do its job. The restore did the trick, but this "missing file" kept cropping up.

If all is ok to do it, I'll clean out the Downloads file.

With all due respect John, your methods only create more issues to deal with. You may have interrupted an install of software, so the question is, what was the name of `a program could do its job'... I can't abstract the scene because you were there and not I :)

You can delete the download files. To make them NOT go into the recycle bin, and get deleted, press the shift key when you click delete, it will ask to confirm, and answering yes will see the file NOT restored again... don't use this method on files that have important value.
PMC

Postby Russ_Byth » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:46 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:What I don't do is download a lot. Downloads of screen savers, special personalized email and little emoticons etc can carry all kinds of garbage with them.

Spy bot is good
windows essentials is good
avast is good

scan your computer daily and quit fiddling - use microsoft unless you have an apple - the other stuff usually does not work well.

I have tried chrome, firefox but always go back to Gateswear - no matter how bad it is... Less trouble.

Kick your puter once a week and let it know who is boss.

OK. Who are u and what have you done with the real Jack Bennest!

That is probably the most straightforward piece of info ever offered in the tech forum.
Most gurus figure everyone is at their knowledge level and we all know about Safe Mode and how to find a program using the friggen C prompt.
Nicely put Jack.
My advice to John would be, if you can do all you want to do with the computer, don't sweat it. And (I can't believe I'm saying this) follow JB's advice.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:56 am

Russ_Byth wrote:OK. Who are u and what have you done with the real Jack Bennest!

I am one of the more interesting personality slices in JCB's :happy3: weird personality housing. Bites can you make me
a friend on Facebook? It would be the nicest christmas present this year. :booty:

ps to jon - could you load some smilies for christmas
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News