HotSpot Shield and their ilk

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

HotSpot Shield and their ilk

Postby jon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:24 am

Just a heads up on "change your IP address" software, in general, since HotSpot Shield was discussed in other threads as a method of addressing Geoblocking where you cannot access a web site's contents because you live in the country that you do.

Anti-malware (anti-virus, et al) programs and web browsing shields, which block access to sites with known malware on them, are now being triggered to block HotSpot Shield and any of its competitors that I've looked at. In some cases, the entire site itself is blocked; in others, the download is blocked.

I am loathe to get into an argument about whether or not these programs are malware. I remember when antispyware first came out, the most popular free product disabled Windows Media Player, labeling it spyware.

If you want to read more, here is a typical antimalware company response:
http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2010/05 ... hield.html
jon
Advanced Member

Re: HotSpot Shield and their ilk

Postby Paul P » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:58 am

No problem.
Didn't understand a word of that or how I might encounter it :northpole:
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:09 pm

The most recent example of interest was during the Vancouver Olympics when CTV was blocking access from anyone outside Canada, presumably because of rights issues with the U.S. networks who paid big bucks for Olympics coverage.

A more long running issue was Clear Channel in the U.S., which would not stream its radio stations to anyone outside the U.S. for several years.

Both situations could be overcome by using a service that provided you with a Canadian IP address even if you lived in the U.S. Or vice versa.

That is what HotSpot Shield and similar software/services do.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:56 pm

Paul P wrote:No problem.

Then why reply?

I've tried to be silent but I can't much longer... Paul P, who are you? Of your 23 posts so far, I've seen nothing helpful, nothing more than snide remarks about people who "obviously don't work in radio", nitpicking at people's writing, and in this case, commenting about something you don't care about even though others might. I have little interest in getting into a petty flame war on here, but before you progress further on this board with any more of these types of comments "Paul P", you should at least introduce yourself as you've claimed in other threads that you're of quite some importance in the industry apparently. If you have no interest in a topic, I suppose you're welcome to and have the "right" to reply, I just don't see what good it does anyone. This is the "Computer and Technology News" section, if you're not very computer savvy or technically minded and didn't understand Jon's post, then what good is it to reply and derail the entire discussion before it even starts? What satisfaction does that give you?

Anyway...

Jon: That's a shame, I would have enjoyed this software had I known about it beforehand. I'd tried some other workarounds, VPNs and such, but I was a little iffy about them and couldn't find a good one for accessing US content. I'm always annoyed when content is blocked, I understand the licensing and such, but they're still making money off the advertising. I really did enjoy the internet back in the days where it really felt more global, everything was accessible from everywhere and it had a little more of a "wild west" feel to it (had the wild west been run by nerds of course :-) )
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Buckley wrote:

Then why reply?

I've tried to be silent but I can't much longer... Paul P, who are you? Of your 23 posts so far, I've seen nothing helpful, nothing more than snide remarks about people who "obviously don't work in radio", nitpicking at people's writing, and in this case, commenting about something you don't care about even though others might. I have little interest in getting into a petty flame war on here, but before you progress further on this board with any more of these types of comments "Paul P", you should at least introduce yourself as you've claimed in other threads that you're of quite some importance in the industry apparently. If you have no interest in a topic, I suppose you're welcome to and have the "right" to reply, I just don't see what good it does anyone. This is the "Computer and Technology News" section, if you're not very computer savvy or technically minded and didn't understand Jon's post, then what good is it to reply and derail the entire discussion before it even starts? What satisfaction does that give you?

Thanks for going thru my 23 posts. Can you remind me what I said?

I'm an old fart, though not as old as Sykes, and I was simply asking Jon what he was getting at. I didn't understand it and was wondering if it was something I should be concerned about when I'm wireless.
Jon explained it after, which I now thank him for.
I don't think I've ever expressed that I was of any importance to the industry. I have opinions and don't tolerate stupid statements.

So Buckley, have another egg nog and chill man. And try to take up another hobby. You have far too much spare time if you're able to go through all my posts.
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:31 pm

Buckley wrote: I really did enjoy the internet back in the days where it really felt more global, everything was accessible from everywhere and it had a little more of a "wild west" feel to it (had the wild west been run by nerds of course :-) )

Wikileaks is keeping the `wild west' feel to it :snowball:
PMC

Postby Buckley » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:33 pm

Paul P wrote:
Buckley wrote:

Then why reply?

Thanks for going thru my 23 posts. Can you remind me what I said?

I'm an old fart, though not as old as Sykes, and I was simply asking Jon what he was getting at. I didn't understand it and was wondering if it was something I should be concerned about when I'm wireless.
Jon explained it after, which I now thank him for.
I don't think I've ever expressed that I was of any importance to the industry. I have opinions and don't tolerate stupid statements.

So Buckley, have another egg nog and chill man. And try to take up another hobby. You have far too much spare time if you're able to go through all my posts.

As I said, I have no interest in a petty flame war. You know what you've said. I haven't read a post from you yet that wasn't just some little backhanded comment or remark intended to put yourself above someone else. Just try and contribute to conversations meaningfully, please and thanks.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:46 pm

Buckley wrote:Just try and contribute to conversations meaningfully, please and thanks.

I will continue to say what I want, to whom I want and when I want. :phew:
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Paul P wrote:
Buckley wrote:Just try and contribute to conversations meaningfully, please and thanks.

Under anonymity....How brave!!
:bag:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:13 pm

sandclan wrote:
Paul P wrote:

Under anonymity....How brave!!
:bag:

Its certainly more entertaining than milquetoast.
Paul P
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News