Stockwell Day goes Bye Bye

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Stockwell Day goes Bye Bye

Postby jon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:36 am

It looks like we will finally be rid of Stockwell Day, as he quits politics:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/qui ... story.html

He was known as Mr. Slash and Burn here in Alberta as he outsourced and/or reduced services, and tons of line staff, in department after department under Ralph Klein.

But the turning point for his credibility, in my mind at least, was when he said, around 1996, that Y2K was Microsoft's and IBM's fault. And that they should pay for it.

His plans to sue the two companies on behalf of the Alberta government, for the government's Y2K software conversion costs, quickly disappeared from view. As someone who actually understood the situation informed him that all the government's computer programmers he had laid off a year or two earlier had created the problem by writing computer programs that stored the year as two digits instead of four. And they, if they were still around, could have solved the problem at a lot less cost than hiring outsiders who had never seen the code before.

He will always be "Mr. Jet Ski Dude" to me.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Stockwell Day goes Bye Bye

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:00 am

Good riddance.
Another Harpocrit gone.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Re: Stockwell Day goes Bye Bye

Postby jon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Yet another article about Stockwell Day concludes with this:
Hal Danchilla worked with Day for about five years, as Day’s chief of staff when he was treasurer and then as national campaign manager for Day’s Canadian Alliance leadership run.

“Stock was not only just the leader (of the Alliance) but he was instrumental in forming it,” Danchilla said.

“He’s given an awful lot and he deserves to have a fruitful and successful retirement and enjoy himself ... He works extremely hard every day so I’m sure his family is looking forward to having a little more private time with him.”

“I think politics will be more boring without Stockwell Day.”
ref. - http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Sto ... story.html

I think I know this turkey. The day after the jet ski picture appeared the newspaper, I was sitting in the outdoor patio at Earls Tin Palace in Edmonton just after 11 a.m. opening. The only other occupied table was this guy on his cell phone, in a loud voice, giving away all the inner secrets of Day's federal campaign strategy. It was "Stock this" and "Stock that".

Had I brought my voice recorder, I think I could have commanded a pretty good price from Jean Chrétien's Liberals. As that was where more of his offensive strategy was aimed.
---

For those who may have missed it, Day is joined by two other B.C. Tories who won't be running in the next election:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Tor ... story.html
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News