Has TV comedy gone beyond the ropes?

News from the world of Television

Postby johnsykes » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:11 pm

I don't mean to complain.....I simply want to ask a question or six. Is TV comedy going too far? is it realistic anymore? If you are old enough to remember The Lucy Show....Eight Is Enough......Ozzie and Harriet......would they stack up against stuff like The Simpsons? The Honeymooners with Jackie Gleason against today's so-called comedy.

I won't say any more.....I'll leave it to you to debate. The shows I have mentioned relate to TV shows.....for obvious reasons. Yesterday's radio has no equal.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:52 pm

johnsykes wrote: I don't mean to complain.....I simply want to ask a question or six. Is TV comedy going too far? is it realistic anymore? If you are old enough to remember The Lucy Show....Eight Is Enough......Ozzie and Harriet......would they stack up against stuff like The Simpsons? The Honeymooners with Jackie Gleason against today's so-called comedy.

Realistic? Yeah, astronauts with genies, talking horses, moms wearing pearls and a dress while doing the dishes. How about Lucy dressing up as a Japanese stereotype to meet Jan Murray? Yes sir, TV comedy was very realistic way-back-when.

John, we both know the only realistic TV show was 'WKRP in Cincinnati.'

cArtie.

P.S.: Don't say "I don't mean to complain" then complain.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:05 pm

You call that complaining....I could really complain....I mean....you really want to see me complain? lol

Point taken, I just think comedy then was more simplistic then....most comedy shows were taped before a live audience...now, more than ever, laugh tracks are used...phony result. I'm not complaining though....it's just a sign of the times.....sigh...

A Happy New Year cArtie and all you other happy folks too
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:44 pm

johnsykes wrote: I just think comedy then was more simplistic then....most comedy shows were taped before a live audience...now, more than ever, laugh tracks are used...phony result.? I'm not complaining though....it's just a sign of the times.....sigh...

Say what? Few comedies of that era had a studio audience.

Ozzie and Harriet? Nope. Bachelor Father? Nope. The Beverly Hillbillies? Nope. F Troop? Not a chance. The Flintstones? Hmm. Live audiences were the province of (some) variety and game shows until the early 70s, then comedies like All in the Family (with its stage-like set) tried it out again.

Desilu was the only TV comedy outfit in the 50s which used a live audience because it bought its own facilities and reconfigured them for an audience. That wasn't possible until Lucy's cinematographer Karl Freund figured out how the show could be shot that way without making the lighting inconsistent on film. And even Lucy and Desi gave it up when they went to the hour shows in the later 50s because there were too many off-studio elements. (Dick Van Dyke used the Desilu Studios and had a live audience. No doubt that's why MTM Productions used one).

"Eight is Enough" was no more a comedy than "The Waltons." Both were family dramas. Maybe you're mistaking it for Stu Jeffries.

Comedy evolves, John. Some comedy ages well and some doesn't. And it's all subjective. That's why I've known some P.Ds who think I'm funny, and others who thought it would be funny to wish me well in my future endeavours.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:00 pm

johnsykes wrote:
I don't mean to complain.....I simply want to ask a question or six. Is TV comedy going too far? is it realistic anymore? If you are old enough to remember The Lucy Show....Eight Is Enough......Ozzie and Harriet......would they stack up against stuff like The Simpsons? The Honeymooners with Jackie Gleason against today's so-called comedy.

Nothing's changed.

There are good shows, and there are bad ones. It just depends where your tastes lie.

'Everybody Loves Raymond' can hold its own with 'I love Lucy' and 'The Dick Van Dyke Show.' People will still be catching Raymond in re-runs years from now, and for the same reasons: great ensemble acting, excellent writing, and situations that everyone can relate to.

In my opinion, for sheer out-and-out genius, 'The Larry Sanders Show' will never be topped. Same goes for CBC's 'The Newsroom.'

Two other Canadian productions, 'This Hour Has 22 Minutes' and 'The Rick Mercer Report' are also first-rate. As are 'Six Feet Under' and original British version of 'The Office' .
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:00 pm

I guess all of this comes down to the fact no two people like the same type of show. Pluto thought Larry Sanders was genius stuff.....I thought it was awful......but then I can't stand Letterman.....but think Leno is great.....someone else, I'm sure, will opine the opposite.

My favourite? Happy Days......that should tell you all something! I'll go hide in the corner now. :D
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:54 pm

Jack Tripper???....I almost fell into a trap like that...and was married with kids too. Early 70's......thankfully it didn't happen. Then 20 years later...working at Van. Intn'l Airport...there she was......again, thankfully married with twins by then.

Radio can and could have screwed up a marriage or two......part of my book I'm writing....I don't know what caused or causes it.......you in the local scene, although you could be included in the book...don't worry.....you are safe. I'm not one to tattle on you.
I don't believe I have an enemy in the business.....and that will never change.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:05 am

johnsykes wrote: Jack Tripper???....I almost fell into a trap like that...

Say what? You mean you almost became Suzanne Somers' thighmaster?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen