Time for Dick Clark to hang it up

News from the world of Television

Postby kat » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:16 am

I spent a couple of hours watching CNN's live New Years's coverage with Anderson Cooper and a stack of reporters in various cities until sometime after 10PM. I then switched over to watch a bit of ABC's New Year's Rockin' Eve last night and was shocked that they brought Dick Clark out and put him on display like the people they put on display during telethons when they are begging for dollars.

So glad to see Dick's speech is better than last year.

I'd like to remeber Dick as they world's oldest teenager on American Bandstand, not some poor old stroke victim being wheeled around in a wheel chair.

Let Dick retire and Ryan or somebody else take over the, if anyone really cares.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:57 am

As much as I know Dick enjoys doing the show, it is indeed time to retire. I just couldn't listen. My wife had a stroke 12 years ago...thankfully only her right hand was affected after a few scary days of mumbling. Therapy was good etc...but going back to work? no way. She didn't want people to feel sorry for her.......same as I feel sorry for D.C.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:07 pm

I totally forgot about Dick and Ryan on ABC.

Just watched the KING coverage of the fireworks on the Space Needle and called it a night.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:24 pm

Who the hell is joking about this? I'm totally dead serious.....where did I joke about this? I don't take this as being funny anymore. My wife's stroke was almost deadly serious.....a 95% blockage in the artery on the left side of her neck. Call that a bloody joke?
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:56 pm

I watched ABC's Rockin' New Years Eve too. I sort of have mixed feelings about whether Dick Clark should have been there or not. While it was sad to see him in the shape he's in today, I guess he also wants to show the world that he did not just roll over and play dead after his stroke. After all, it's still technically his show.

It was interesting to see Rascal Flatts do that version of Tom Cochrane's "Life Is A Highway". Is this a hit on the Country charts now?
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:48 pm

Dan Sys wrote: It was interesting to see Rascal Flatts do that version of Tom Cochrane's "Life Is A Highway". Is this a hit on the Country charts now?

Yup.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:49 pm

Dan Sys wrote:
It was interesting to see Rascal Flatts do that version of Tom Cochrane's "Life Is A Highway". Is this a hit on the Country charts now?

It must either be a huge hit, or JR-FM is having a tough time coming up with decent can-con. In the past couple of months, anytime I am in a store that has JR on, that song seems to pop up.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:17 pm

Guess I'm out of touch with Country these days. Oh well, the Cloverdale Rodeo is on the horizon and that brings about my annual flirtation with Country Music. Hey, at least Rascall Flatts didn't change the lyrics and kept Vancouver in the tune. One might have expected them to replace it with a U.S. city.

Seems like all the stores I've been in lately either have THE BEAT or Z95.3 happening in the background.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:30 pm

It was with mixed emotions that I watched DC on New Years Eve. On the one hand he seems in much better shape than last year but on the other hand he really isn't up to the task. I think he should hang it up. I wouldn't mind footage of Dick from past years as well as seeing him live in Times Square enjoying the festivities but leave the announcing to someone else. Even though Dick Clark Productions owns the show I don't think that he owns the company anymore. I had a chance to sit next to Dick at a dinner about five years ago and remember thinking how great he looked and how little he had changed over the years. That's the Dick Clark I prefer to remember.
tuned
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen