Ann-a-kiss Island?

News from the world of Television

Ann-a-kiss Island?

Postby czarcasm » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:55 pm

Does anyone at Global News really care about their product anymore? It seems there is at least one if not more screw ups every night. The weekend News has become an amateur hour.

Tonight the anchor who has a constant problem with her inflections came up with one of the best pronunciation errors I've ever heard. Near the top of the news was a story about a body
being found on Ann-a-kiss Island. Gimme a freakin' break Blondie! Come on now. Lowheed and Lawheed is one thing as is Tihwassen and Siwassen. The portion of Richmond and Delta
you are referring to always has been and always will be ANN-A-SIS (Annacis) Island.

Some of the phrasings I hear used on air at Global makes me wonder if the writer or producer is an ESL graduate that doesn't quite grasp the English language.

If they get away with this crap in a major market, I'd hate to be subjected to small town TV.
czarcasm
Advanced Member

Re: Ann-a-kiss Island?

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Thank goodness.
I thought I was the only one hearing the constant inflection issues with Drewa.
I find the weekend News Hour unwatchable now because of that.

CTV's anchor is much better, but the weather guy needs to brush up on his ad-libbing. It's all very well to have a degree, but if you're stumbling over your words....

And keep in mind czar - this is a CANADIAN major market! Nonsense like that wouldn't be tolerated in Topeka!

Yes, it's nice to sit back in my ivory tower.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby jawbone » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Wow - what a complete mess up at the beginning of the Noon News today.
It is a good thing that Deb Hope doesn't curse.
First, they ran the wrong promo/tease before the newscast - one which Deb apparently flubbed while taping it.
Then the news began - it was pretty obvious their lead story on the bomb squad at the Langley RCMP detachment wasn't ready, yet the director and producer told Deb to start reading it - she did, but there was a graphic about Burnaby hospital over her shoulder. She ended up bailing on the RCMP story and just moving on.

This operation is getting more amateur every day.
It's obvious no one is paying attention to quality control - but I assume as long as the ratings hold up, no one will do anything about it.
Too bad. It used to be a professional operation,
jawbone
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Greetings Everyone,
Wow! Sounds like Global Vancouver formerly CHAN TV is really having problems with the news department!!! In the recent past Mrs. CFAY and I watched it regularly and did not notice too much in the way of screw-ups. We kind of got a kick out of Squire Barnes and the lady newscaster who's name I just can't remember at the moment. I have heard it a million times but for some reason am having a memory lapse about it. Anyway her and Squire banter back and forth like they are a married couple or something, some of it quite amusing. Oh I just remembered her name, Randene Neil!!!! Anyway she has mentioned being a dog lover quite a few times on the air and some of those stories were quite interesting!

Now getting to Global Toronto, quite professional, I have watched the 6 PM and 11 PM news quite often and Leslie who is the anchor does a fine job. I have not noticed any slip-ups on news stories or really bad announcing on locations names etc. The sports announcers and weather people on Global Toronto seem okay as well. Perhaps Global hqs. should do some video checking on the Vancouver station!!!!

Anyway good comments on this, thanks to all for posting them! How is Squire and Randene doing lately???

Take care everyone, Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Eldon-Mr.CFAY wrote: Sounds like Global Vancouver formerly CHAN TV is really having problems with the news department!!!

Global BC (as it's known) is still CHAN TV.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen