Cuts and Changes at CTV Vancouver

News from the world of Television

Cuts and Changes at CTV Vancouver

Postby flyonthewall » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:31 pm

In a move to do some streamlining and cost cutting at Bell owned Radio and TV stations across the country, lots of changes are occuring.

Most markets will have one manager for Radio and TV properties, in most cases the TV manager adds radio to his job description. His job is to slash and burn any duplication of resources
between Radio and TV.

In Vancouver, Dr. Rhonda Lowe and Julia For are gone. Rob Brown loses his anchor strips and is now back to being a reporter. Keri Adams moves to late nights and Mike Killeen will now be
anchoring the Noon and 6PM casts.

Numerous behind the scens producers and others have also been wished well in their future endeavors.

More to come.

Any word on cuts in other markets?
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Re: Cuts and Changes at CTV Vancouver

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:48 pm

Sorry to say, I had predicted this would be the case.
Bhell began the "slash and burn" in Ottawa, cutting many jobs, especially those held by experienced and therefore, expensive (in Bhell's eyes) people, many of whom had been employed for years.
They did those cuts in two rounds, about a year apart.
If the CRTC caves to the pressure from this mega-corpse that wants to control all media, it will get worse when it acquires Astral's holdings.
Again, all that matters to these "people" is the bottom line and the shareholders.
They don't care about people, just profits.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:32 am

Greetings,
It is very unfortunate but it seems as corporations become bigger and bigger they get greedier and greedier! The Bottom Line and shareholder profit seems to be all that is important, nothing else. Just cut and slash cut and slash. This is not only here with Bell but Cumulus and Clear Channel in the States do the same thing with Cumulus been the worst overall. Just look at what they did to Legendary station KGO 810 San Francisco when they bought. All my friends who used to listen to KGO including RadioFan don't listen much anymore. You know Mike it is a very sad commentary on job creation in the Radio and Television Industry with all this happening and appearing to get worse!!! I agree with you and you did predict this in different postings on Radio West. Even though my cell phones are with Bell I absolutely am against this Bell/Astral Merger, completely against it! Come on lets get some common sense back into the Broadcasting Industry in Canada CRTC!!! Lets start DeCentralizing, not making it worse!!!!

73s, Safety First From Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Instead of "The Mind is a terrible thing to waste" = is now 'They don't care about people, just profits"
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:40 pm

I know

I know this is TV

but radio is dead and no one believes me

TV is not far behind

If I had a crystal ball I would predict - radio frequencies being used for something quite different. TV over the air is not relevant. We have cable and satellite.

Programming that entertains
News, Sports, Weather, Info that is relevant and new - not repeated often is the future before I die.

I know, TV is dying

radio is dead :tail
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen