CBC News Anchors

News from the world of Television

CBC News Anchors

Postby kal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Tonight's "The National" was anchored by Andrew Chang. I know he's done reporting in Quebec and nationally but I haven't previously seen him in the Mansbridge chair. Terrific job. An engaging personality. One to watch.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: CBC News Anchors

Postby mccrady » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:26 am

I agree. He did well.

I wish I could say the same for the late-night replacement they've been using at CBC Edmonton this summer. He's a marble-mouthed "video journailist" whose on-air performance is at best iffy in one or two minute chunks. As an anchor, he's downright dreadful. I can't believe they're that hard up for talent.

Then again .. maybe I can, given the vanishing opportunities for people to learn this craft the old-fashioned way, on the job in smaller markets under the wing of experienced broadcasters who care. It was a system that let the cream rise to the top.

Even the CBC, which used to employ only the best, is hiring people straight out of j-school these days. It shows. And viewers are paying the price.

Or not. Crappy on-air performance isn't the only reason CBC's local news audiences have gone west. But it certainly is one of them.
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:51 am

I haven't looked at recent job ads to confirm that it is still the case, but Mike Cleaver talked about an issue with CBC hiring several years ago that would explain this shortage of applicants and lack of talent.

CBC recruiting adverts were asking for university degrees and not accepting most broadcast programs from places like BCIT. Needless to say, no education and tons of broadcast experience wouldn't get you anywhere either, though a few ads did seem to allow that.

Another issue within the CBC noted at that time was the lack of opportunities in the small CBC markets though that may have changed since then with the expansion of local programming into places like the Okanagan. The only place left had been North of 60 but even that dried up with the requirement for native language fluency.

As noted in a more recent thread, CBC Saskatchewan has now turned into both the training ground and the burial ground for staff that the CBC can't fire.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby SKradiophile » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:26 pm

I agree about the sterling first time job of Andrew Chang. Is he on all week or just a one off? Anyway with people like this in their bull pen, the Mother Corp at least for on air tv talent has some future stars.
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Both CBC and CTV have a long standing tradition of bringing in anchors from their other markets (usually the majors) to do the national newscasts as summer relief and to guage viewer acceptance of what could become a future anchor when the incumbents burn out or become too troublesome.
With CTV, you usually were given a week at hosting the national cast.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen