CTV Van news beats Global BC

News from the world of Television

CTV Van news beats Global BC

Postby flyonthewall » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Just like CKNW is no longer 'Top Dog' in radio, perennial news leader Global BC appears to be losing viewers to CTV Vancouver.
The fly got wind of an internal email from Robson and Burrard that said CTV News at 6 beat Global BC's 6pm news, in the 25-54 demo on Tuesday night.
This is huge!
I can't remember the last time, if ever, in the last 2 or 3 decades Global/CHAN hasn't had a lock on news in this city.
Looks like all the corporate crap, personnel changes and constant technical screw-ups have people finally looking elsewhere.
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Re: CTV Van news beats Global BC

Postby kal » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:59 pm

The technical snafus on the Global News Hour are surely an embarrassment to the people working there. Just tonight the lead story ran in its entirety with an annoying echo. It's become commonplace to see a technical problem on that newscast. Chris Gailus calmly apologizes when he experiences one but they must be wearing on him. By contrast it is rare to see these issues on the CBC and CTV newscasts.

If CTV Van does indeed pull ahead of Global BC for an entire ratings period it will be a wake up call for the Burnaby station. It's something I didn't expect to see in my lifetime.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Karen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:58 am

I just heard from a friend who calls CTV home these days that they have hired Mike McCardell. Mike and his stories will be a part of CTV News At Six starting in September.

I'm hoping this CTV trend continues, it' long overdue.

It's amazing how quickly Global has fallen apart. Not only are the CTV and CBC Vancouver news packages superior to the once mighty News Hour, so are those from Global or CTV in places
like Edmonton and Calgary.

The glory days in Lake City are over.
Karen
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Before CTV starts popping the champagne corks they need to check the repeat of the News Hour between 7-8PM on BC1.

It's more convenient for many to eat dinner and then catch the News Hour at 7. So if it was being tracked fairly you would have to add the BC1 numbers from 7-8 onto the Global 6-7PM numbers.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:25 pm

You would add the numbers from the second telecast if you were a PR flack for Global.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:59 am

oh anyone who can't notice the quality of Global BC (BCTV) has dropped CONSIDERABLY in recent years probably still believe NW is BCs News Authority. :razz:

As far as the BC1 threat, well you need to have Shaw to access it. Being a Telus Optik viewer, I don't even know it EXISTS
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:32 pm

I do realize that the quality at Global has gone down but I dont see much better coming out of CTV.

What I am saying is that they are diluting their audience at Global by repeating the newscast in the next hour. Just like CTV would be doing if they ran their 6 o'clock news on their news channel between 7-8.

As for Telus TV, as much as Telus seems to have done a good marketing job with their TV service most people have Shaw. Shaw has probably lost more subscribers to the internet than Telus across BC.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:51 pm

If you hadn't noticed, and why would you if you don't have Shaw in BC.... Jill Krop's daily 9am show on BC1 that was going 'to be different'... is already kaput after just a couple of months.

Jill is now tweeting that she's preparing for a show with 'some serious attitude' that will debut at 7pm on Sept 9 on BC1.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:04 pm

I have to agree the BC1 programming looks lost and like a fish out of water. I wouldn't doubt if their best ratings is the repeat of the Newshour at 7 PM. Not a good start.

That said they probably expected some growing pains and maybe they will improve. First thing to do would probably be to take a serious look at the personnel they have. Jill Krop sounds like a sweetheart but they need to lead with some heavy hitters if they want to be more than a blip on the dial.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen