Rough Ride for CTV's Local Programming Cuts

News from the world of Television

Rough Ride for CTV's Local Programming Cuts

Postby jon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:22 am

Unifor calls on CRTC to reject Bell Media's plea to reduce local programming
Canada NewsWire

TORONTO, Nov. 6, 2013 /CNW/ - Unifor, Canada's largest media union, is calling on the CRTC to unequivocally reject Bell Media's application to circumvent their license obligations to provide local news and programming.

"If the CRTC bends to Bell Media's pressure, we fear it could be the beginning of the end of local news and programming as we know it in Canadian television," said Unifor Media Sector Director Howard Law. "Bell Media has asked previously for an averaging formula, and it was rejected. They are persistent in their pressure, but the CRTC must be equally strong and consistent in enforcing Bell Media-CTV's license commitments."

The application by Bell Media-CTV asks the CRTC to amend their license requirements to "average" local programming hours over three month periods, providing the possibility of reducing or abandoning altogether regular weekly programming.

"Canadians expect that local programming will be consistent, reliable and broadcast by Canadians for Canadians," said Unifor Media Council Chairperson Randy Kitt. Kitt is the president of Unifor 79M, repre0senting CTV employees.

"Bell has not explained how local communities will benefit from either random or scheduled periods of reduced local television programming," Unifor argued to the CRTC. "A review of Bell's program logs indicate that its stations produce very little non-news local programming - meaning that the main effect of Bell's proposal would be to reduce the level of regularly scheduled local news available to communities. The CRTC should not approve applications whose effect will be to reduce the news on which people rely for information about their communities."

Unifor's submission to the CRTC, including the executive summary, can be read by clicking this link: http://www.unifor.org/sites/default/fil ... v_2013.pdf
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Rough Ride for CTV's Local Programming Cuts

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:48 pm

I say again as I have in the past, what local programming?
All any of the stations do any more is possibly a morning news block, a few do noon news, then something during the supper hour and maybe a late package, all billed as news but mostly fluff and very little local content.
Not anything like the old days when there were actual local shows produced with real people behind the cameras and in local control rooms, not some centralized "master control" trying to run four stations simultaneously, none of them well.
This is another Bhell fatten the bottom line with fewer people attempt.
It's not just Bhell but all of the corpse "think" the same way.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:00 pm

When I toured local CTV outlet CFRN-TV in 2007 -- a birthday present from my wife -- someone asked the question about local programming. And the response was that, as soon as the station was bought by CTV (i.e. - some time in the 1990s), the only local programming allowed was News programming. They were not even allowed to produce commercials for clients, though Imaging was allowed. On the other hand, they were encouraged to rent their facilities to independent production companies, mostly for commercials.

So, it would seem, that the decision pre-dates even Bell's previous ownership of CTV. Of course, Bell could easily have changed the decision if they wanted to.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:05 pm

And while we're talking about local programming, may I just say to Global BC:

You're not fooling anyone during the news when the anchor says "(reporter) joins us with the details" and then you cut to a taped standup. No one thinks it's live.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen