Hopefully not too obscure local TV trivia

News from the world of Television

Hopefully not too obscure local TV trivia

Postby Toomas Losin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:47 pm

The posting of TV and radio schedules reminded me of some memories from when I was a wee li'l guy in the 70's. Google's Vancouver Sun scan collection answered some questions despite it being very sparse in the era of interest; however, there is a TV trivia question that wasn't answered by the schedules I found.

Background: In the mid 70's, channel 8 would run Star Trek at 13:30 each Sunday, followed by a movie. I must have already had some interest in technology because what caught my eye and made this memory, was that the movie program's intro segment showed a tape machine with two reels of video tape being played. The impression I had was "behind the scenes of a TV station". I later figured that this must have been a quad VTR.

So, the trivia question: Does anyone know if that movie program was called something bland like "The Sunday Afternoon Movie" or did it have a more interesting name?
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Re: Hopefully not too obscure local TV trivia

Postby Recordman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:09 am

I don`t know if this was a local thing or a national show,but the afternoon movie title I remember from the 1970`s,Midday Matinee.I think it was CTV.I`m in Nova Scotia.
Hope this helps.
Recordman
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:23 pm

Do you remember if Midday Matinee had the VTR intro?

Channel 8 is CHAN-TV in Vancouver. It's CTV but the Sunday afternoon movie program may not have been network programming. Looking at schedules for CTV stations in other cities for the same date shows different programming during Sunday afternoons and different movies for the afternoon movie. The schedules don't match up until the evening.

The schedules for the Ottawa CTV station (CJOH, Ch 13) have the afternoon movie listed as "Sunday Matinee" in 1973 but "Sunday Afternoon Movie" in 1974. I haven't looked at later years yet.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby Marathon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:28 am

When BCTV ran movies during weekdays it was called "Movie Matinee" I'm not 100% sure if they used that name for the Sunday movies as well. I also remember watching the two late night movies on BCTV, the first was "The Late Show" and then "Our Last Picture Show"
Marathon
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen