Did you enjoy Popeye?

News from the world of Television

Did you enjoy Popeye?

Postby OpenMike » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:50 am

Sun, July 29, 2007

Singin' an old 'toon
By BRUCE KIRKLAND, SUN MEDIA

I yam what I yam--an adult who still loves the cartoons from my childhood.

So the release of two new/old collections of classic 'toons is not only a cause for celebration, it is warm-and-fuzzy nostalgia. Out last week is the three-disc box set, The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection. Coming Tuesday is the four-disc set, Popeye the Sailor: Volume One: 1933-1938.

Cartoon superstars such as Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, The Pink Panther and others have been well served on DVD. These comprehensive Woody and Popeye collections fill in a gaping hole in cartoon history.

On DVD, I don't care if the cartoon is in B&W or colour, as long as it has been restored and presented as created. That means uncut, despite legitimate concerns about sexism, racism, violence and other politically incorrect aspects of cartooning in the golden era. Not all these films are suitable for today's children.

Both the two new box sets do the job, although restorations on Popeye are cleaner and sharper. The Woody box also has a peckerheaded manufacturing glitch.

On my copy, cartoons listed for disc one are actually on disc two, and vice versa. That throws out the chronological order from Woody's debut in Knock Knock (1940) through to The Great Who-Dood-It (1952). Nothing, however, is missing.

There are 45 Woody cartoons (or cartunes, as artist-producer Walter Lantz called them) in colour. In addition, five feature Oswald the Lucky Rabbit (he looks more like a psycho Mickey than a bunny), five star Andy Panda, five star Chilly Willy, five are Swing Symphonies and there are 10 vintage pieces, such as Tex Avery's sardonic satire, Sh-h-h-h-h (1955).

Woody was created by Lantz, initially as a crossed-eyed lunatic inspired by a woodpecker knocking on his forest cabin roof during Lantz's honeymoon. While the story has been pecked full of holes, Lantz tells it in a folksy way in some of the decent extras.

Like most cartoon stars, Woody's design and demeanour evolved. But his cackling laugh endured and endeared him to us. In Woody, we got to express our insanity in a safe environment.

Popeye is a more complex character with deeper roots. Elzie Segar -- an artists' legend -- created him for the Thimble Theatre comic strip in 1929. The Fleischer Studio turned the rumpled, mumbling, spinach-loving sailor into an unlikely movie star in 1933. He was the guest star who took over in a Betty Boop cartoon (she is seen only in a cheeky cameo -- dancing topless at the carnival).

The Popeye set has 60 cartoons starring Popeye, most in B&W, two in glorious Technicolor. In addition, there are 16 vintage cartoons dating back to 1915, plus excellent docs called "Popumentaries" which give the historical context.

In addition to all the wacky insanity, both the Woody and Popeye sets show off the true artistry in cartooning. That is something I only knew subconsciously as a child. Now it is being showcased.
OpenMike
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen