Rogers cuts 110 jobs, ends all OMNI newscasts

News from the world of Television

Postby radiofan » Thu May 07, 2015 2:56 pm

SIMON HOUPT - SENIOR MEDIA WRITER
The Globe and Mail
Published Thursday, May. 07 2015, 12:41 PM EDT

Rogers Media Inc. slashed 110 positions from its conventional TV operations on Thursday, transforming the daily newscasts on its multicultural OMNI stations into current affairs shows that will spend more air time on each story but won’t do original reporting.

Rogers will also eliminate its short-lived Breakfast Television program in Edmonton, in favour of a two-hour early evening program known as Dinner Television. That show, which will be hosted by the NHL veteran Jason Strudwick, will feature light chat but no original news-gathering.

Operations in Rogers’ Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver stations were affected.

Read more at: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e24306838/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Rogers cuts 110 jobs, ends all OMNI newscasts

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu May 07, 2015 3:58 pm

Rogers overpaid for Hockey and so the troops have to pay the price.

Why aren't the guys that signed the stupid deal, getting the hook? No. If you are management, you can run a company into the ground and it doesn't seem to matter.

Rogers and Shaw are both bleeding. Newspapers, Mags, CTV, CBC, they are all just getting blasted.

ALL media is in DEEP TROUBLE > as everything migrates to handheld etc.

New regs that say you can chop your provider with no notice, just about killed Rogers and Shaw.

I wonder how many people shorted Media stocks? I think it's a no brainer.

Big Media Companies are screwed....ain't kharma a bitch?
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby groundwave » Thu May 07, 2015 4:54 pm

Long-time BT Edmonton host Ryan Jespersen had recently left CITY/BT for radio (CHED) where he landed in what was once Dave Rutherford's "Corus Alberta" network simulcast slot many moons ago. It's ironic the Rogers brain trust is now bringing in someone from radio to anchor/host a new dinner time program. For those who may not be aware, Jason "Struds" Strudwick had been hosting a post-game interview show on Bell's TSN 1260. According to his twitter feed, his last radio show was this past April 29.

https://twitter.com/Struds1260
groundwave
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu May 07, 2015 5:09 pm

ROGERS is up to its old tricks. They seem to have an on-going fondness for unsustainable business models.

Case in point, leaning on distributors/providers like TELUS for a fee hike for SPORTSNET after securing the NHL rights.

Anyone else get an email from TELUS regarding a survey asking about a potential price increase of its sports pack? I completed it and the questions focused on SPORTSNET's inclusion in a channel pack and my sensitivity to various monthly subscription rates.

If you couldn't sustain the cost of the NHL rights, tough! Don't coming looking to squeeze my wallet. You're at the back of the line. I'm already anticipating a hit from the orange wave that arrived in Alberta earlier this week.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri May 08, 2015 10:16 am

Rogers is one of the worst companies in Canada. Not giving them any of your hard earned money is the only way to send them a message. I went to a lot of trouble to switch three cel phones from Rogers to WIND. We're in the US a lot so the savings were in the thousands of dollars per year. Rogers has made a mess out of HNIC with their trademark arrogance and the ratings are down. They are pimping out the NHL rights to the max to get out of their Canadian content obligations as well. Why do you think they are putting games on CITY? The company was founded on piracy. Stealing US TV signals and selling them to Canadians. Do yourself a favor and figure out a way to give them zero money or less money.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Fri May 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Sheesh ! A very dismal and dark account of Rogers the company. Don't suppose any of you once worked there ? LOL
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen