HD antenna choices

News from the world of Television

HD antenna choices

Postby kal » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:40 pm

Several years ago I experimented with a $15 indoor HD antenna. In my location I was able to pull in six or seven channels, and as to be expected with a digital signal, the picture quality was superb. The experiment didn't last long however, as there were other channels I wanted to watch.

In my neighbourhood I only see one outdoor antenna. The antenna has two panels, one aimed in the direction of Mt. Seymour, the other towards Victoria.

Today a colleague asked about this antenna:

http://www.amazon.ca/Amplified-Digital-Motorized-Rotation-Infrared/dp/B004NQMCDK

I told him the 150-mile claim is bogus and suggested 50 as a reasonable upper limit, with 30 more likely, even with say a 5 m mast. Seems odd to be speaking about miles.

Is there anyone here with experience with HD antennae who would care to weigh in?
kal
Advanced Member

Re: HD antenna choices

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:11 pm

Does the Canadian governing body, whether it's the CRTC or the CAB, offer anything as "helpful" as this FCC website HD signal coverage tool?
I close-quoted "helpful" as it "helped" me learn how out of luck I am in my somewhat remote neck of the woods.

https://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

When you search my zip code, 98365, FOX is the only decently strong signal, PBS is moderate, and all of the rest of the major networks are poor bordering on no signal at all. Drive just 25 miles south of here and you pull in everything with a clear picture.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:13 am

Are antenna pictures better than satellite or fibre?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:03 pm

Yes. Satellite/cable/fibre providers compress the streams, sometimes heavily. I can see a clear difference vs. satellite. I can't see it with Fibre, but those with better vision than I have do.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:35 pm

There was (is) a website called "TVFool" that gives you all the info you need for setting up your antenna for most areas in North America.
Line of sight between your antenna and the transmitter(s) is necessary or sometimes you can get away with a "pool shot," getting a reflection from a nearby building.
Most of the transmitters are on Grouse Mountain.
City is on an island near Victoria.
Getting any US HDTV channels over the air in Vancouver can be a challenge.
Again, your antenna needs to be able to "see" theirs and distance also is a factor.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby pcardinal » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:11 am

Does KVOS (ME TV) broadcast in HD? They're only available in SD on Telus.
pcardinal

Postby jon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:01 pm

pcardinal wrote:Does KVOS (ME TV) broadcast in HD? They're only available in SD on Telus.

I couldn't find any info on the station's website, but Wikipedia has the following to say about the OTA signal:
  1. "The station currently broadcasts in standard definition."
  2. Video - 480i
  3. Aspect - 4:3
  4. "The station's digital signal is multiplexed:" 12.1 - KVOS, mostly ME-TV; 12.2 - MOVIES!
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:38 pm

As for OTA TV in Canada, I am starting to wonder if the CRTC will continue to require it be offered, especially if the number of OTA viewers is as low as I suspect it is in Canada. Has anyone seen any published numbers on the subject since the death of Analogue transmitters?

Slightly off topic, but similar: I'm not sure if I understood them correctly, but I believe my in-laws said that Shaw stopped offering them service running, as they did, with no box, just Coax plugged into their TV tuner. Visiting them this afternoon, they seem a lot happier with an HD box.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:27 pm

I recall CBC, when it closed its analogue repeaters, saying only 10 percent of Canadians were watching OTA.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:03 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:There was (is) a website called "TVFool" that gives you all the info you need for setting up your antenna for most areas in North America.
Line of sight between your antenna and the transmitter(s) is necessary or sometimes you can get away with a "pool shot," getting a reflection from a nearby building.
Most of the transmitters are on Grouse Mountain.

Um, Mt Seymour, Shirley.

[quote= City is on an island near Victoria.[/quote]

Really? Gord Lansdell's "NW Broadcasters" suggests Mt Seymour, too... though I recall the original Ch. 10 was on one of the
Gulf Islands, as it was the winner of the CBC's decision not to pursue a local Victoria station.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:54 am

Most definitely Mount Seymour for CITY TV (CKVU):
http://fccdata.org/?cantv=CKVU-DT

There is a rebroadcaster in Victoria, but the tower appears to be on a hill in the Rockland area within the Victoria city limits:
http://fccdata.org/?cantv=CKVU-DT-2

We have been giving some serious consideration about going back to an antenna on the roof (with rotator) once our contract with Telus expires next year. I figure all the HD signals from Vancouver, Victoria, and Bellingham should make it to Aldergrove, plus maybe a few from Seattle if we are lucky. That's all you need to survive, rather than the 200+ channels that Telus & Shaw offer that nobody watches.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:43 am

Dan Sys wrote:We have been giving some serious consideration about going back to an antenna on the roof (with rotator) once our contract with Telus expires next year. I figure all the HD signals from Vancouver, Victoria, and Bellingham should make it to Aldergrove, plus maybe a few from Seattle if we are lucky. That's all you need to survive, rather than the 200+ channels that Telus & Shaw offer that nobody watches.

If OTA ends up not being feasible, it would be interesting to investigate what TELUS and Shaw offer to fulfill the CRTC requirement that they offer a minimum TV package and a "minimum" price.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: CRTC Basic Cable Package requirement...

it must be in place by March and be offered at $25. It must include all local OTA channels and a few additional mandatory channels: APTN, the parliamentary channels and there is a reference to a package of American channels (named are ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS). It isn't clear if those American channels are part of the $25 pricing.
kal
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen