Mandatory basic TV packages

News from the world of Television

Re: Mandatory basic TV packages

Postby mccrady » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:19 am

I'd like to know more about the fibre connection mentioned in the post above. Where, and how much? And what is the bandwidth (up and down)?

I'm in Edmonton. They call it internet 25. It costs $68/month +gst. They supply the modem & wireless router. No contract (I've been a land line customer for 40+ years). Typically tests at 6.7 Mbps up, 26.5 down. 250 Gig monthly data limit (which I never get near using ... don't do much streaming ... yet.)
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:21 pm

You can check TELUS fibre service availability, online, using your postal code at https://fibre.telus.com/
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:29 pm

Dumped our 55 dollar a month Shaw TV crapfest as soon as the "bottom of the barrel" plan became available.
So what does Shaw do?
Immediately emails me back saying "are you sure you want to do this? The package that you now have will no longer be available at the current price if you want to switch back and all of our similar packages now cost more."
Insisted on the $25 dollar "bottom of the barrel" package with one movie pack for an extra six bucks.
Only wanted one movie channel, TCM, but going to the pick and pay selection, a dollar per channel per month, there's absolutely nothing there that would interest most people and I predict most soon will cease to exist.
Even for 25 bucks, there's a lot of stuff in that basic selection that I never ever would watch, French channels, etc.
Best thing about the basic service...NO SPORTS CHANNELS, except what's still carried by the major networks.
So 31 bucks is better than 55 dollars but it could be even less if everything was pick and pay for a dollar a holler.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:17 pm

re: the fibre package ... at those speeds (25/6) no fibre needed. That's good on coax or on ADSL. I as thinking you were referring to 150 Mbps+. A few communities in have Telus fibre but the cost is pretty steep for anything at 100 or over. And gigabit service seems to be off a few years. We need a Google Fibre service here :)

As for the basic plan, good for you for not buying into the Shaw rep's sales pitch. I'm really curious what sort of uptake we'll see for skinny TV. Coupled with pick and pay in December we have a game-changer. Next is deregulation on the box front... pay your ISP for a feed but hook up whatever digital boxes you want. That's coming.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:56 pm

Looks like Bell is going kicking and screaming (quietly) into the new, cheap era.

From CBC
Bell Canada is directing sales staff not to promote its new basic $24.95 "Starter" TV package, according to a recent internal training document obtained by CBC News.
Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/be ... -1.3465674
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:04 pm

Is anyone surprised? Shaw and Telus will follow suit. The CRTC is a toothless tiger. Perhaps social justice warrior Justin will do something to help Canadians from getting screwed. Not.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:56 pm

Bhell Greedia apparently has ordered it's "Customer Abuse People" to actively discourage people who call in to reduce their cable service to the 25 dollar basic level.
They're not even to mention the availability of said package unless the customer pushes it and are urged to try and talk them into something more expensive.
Someone released the Corporate memo on Facebook telling the phone sellers to be aggressive in trying to keep customers on the more expensive packages and to upsell them on extras.
I predict enough people will dump their expensive packages to cause some serious damage to cable revenues.
Looks good on them.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:23 am

Telus is taking the same tough line, doing all it can to discourage potential adopters of the skinny TV package. I'd be surprised if adoption rates via switch-over exceed 5% for any of the BDUs. However new subscribers could be another story. I've been posting about this for almost a year and in the past few weeks have found quite an uptick of interest. I've heard from people who've made the switch (only possible on Shaw at this stage), from young people who say they will adopt the plan and I've also heard from retirees who say the basic lineup suits them fine.

The real trouble for the BDUs comes December 1. Pick and Pay is the real game changer.

Forget antennae and OTA reception. That's a niche market; besides it could well disappear one day as companies turn off their transmitters.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:32 am

kal wrote: The real trouble for the BDUs comes December 1. Pick and Pay is the real game changer.

I don't recall the CRTC setting a maximum price that the companies are allowed to charge per channel. If they make it ridiculously high and then start charging for the boxes etc and full price for Internet, they can make it so there is no incentive to switch.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Here is the CRTC Information Bulletin reminding cable companies what is required and when:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2016/ ... 1455987495

Some interesting points:
  • The $25 maximum monthly for basic service does not include required equipment to actually receive the service
  • Beginning March 1st, they must also provide "all Canadian and non-Canadian discretionary programming services" either individually or in packages of up to 10 channels
  • Beginning December 1st, they must provide both individual channels and packages of up to 10 channels
  • "The Commission also stated that it would require the entry-level basic service to be promoted in a like manner to the BDU's first-tier offering so that customers are aware of its availability, price and content."
That last point may be Bell's excuse for their latest behaviour. So long as they don't promote their currently cheapest service over the new $25 service, and just try and upsell to their higher tiers.

As for OTA, it depends on the market. I personally don't know anyone in Edmonton who watches OTA.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:
kal wrote: The real trouble for the BDUs comes December 1. Pick and Pay is the real game changer.

I don't recall the CRTC setting a maximum price that the companies are allowed to charge per channel. If they make it ridiculously high and then start charging for the boxes etc and full price for Internet, they can make it so there is no incentive to switch.

Precisely.

A customer with a very specific interest could save a little money with say Skinny Basic + just CNN, but for the vast majority it won't be worth it.

(And I'm not sure the CRTC's own rules would even allow that scenario; I think you'd have to pick 2 Canadian channels to go with that)
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:43 pm

The $ 25.00 a month basic package is the biggest scam going ! When you add in taxes, box rental fees, etc, the cost is way more than $25.

Also, a basic tv package is virtually useless for anyone who happens to like sports tv.

All corps will pay a heavy karmic price for not promoting this package to consumers, properly.

I cancelled my Shaw cable and landline phone, two years ago, and I feel great. I was a customer of Shaw's for 20 years previously. They were nothing but ungrateful, plus they offer discounts and then over bill you on the next bill.

Finally, they ALL bill in ADVANCE ! What b*llsh*t ! They charge interest on the advanced billing, too, so the bill is always high.

The best thing that you can do to liberate your life is to watch everything on the internet and simplify your bills.

Pay as little as possible for everything. Use wifi more, get the cheapest phones, plans, and data connections.

Also, buy local and don't forget to breath "FREE" air and drink almost free water, go to the beach, take lots of walks, ride free bike trails, and count your blessings ! Stop bitchin' and whinin' !
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:55 pm

the-real-deal wrote:Also, buy local and don't forget to breath "FREE" air and drink almost free water, go to the beach, take lots of walks, ride free bike trails, and count your blessings ! Stop bitchin' and whinin' !

Can't argue with that.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:15 pm

At the other end of the spectrum (so to speak) comes this tactic of offering more for the same price and not being able to get away with it:

Skinny basic TV at $25 a month coming soon

The CRTC is requiring cable and satellite TV providers to offer an entry level TV package with local programming.

By: Staff Torstar News Service Published on Fri Feb 26 2016

As cable and satellite service providers ready low cost “skinny basic” TV plans to be launched by March 1, Videotron has been told it can’t offer additional channels for the same price.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission on Wednesday denied the Quebec-based distributor’s request to provide more content even though the plan would have conformed to the CRTC’s $25 per month cap.

The regulator said Videotron would have exceeded the maximum number of local and regional channels allowed under its rules.

Videotron said it wanted to continue offering the channels, including CTV Montreal and Canal Savoir, in the interest of consumers and to simplify marketing efforts.

But the CRTC said the move would blur the distinction between entry level and first-tier services and could encourage others to submit similar applications. It would also run contrary to its goal of establishing a service for Canadians who want only a basic package.

So much for open competition.

Original article here:
http://www.metronews.ca/entertainment/2016/02/26/skinny-basic-tv--month-coming-next-week-.html
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:20 pm

The CRTC bulletin is clear about what can and cannot be offered for "skinny" TV. It is interesting that the CRTC did allow the option of the 4+1 American signals and Shaw has clearly forced the hand of Telus here in the BC market by including those in its version, Limited TV.

This is clearly a period of transition. A year down the road we'll have a better understanding of just how the market is shaking out.
kal
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to On the small screen