CTV hring questionable former CBC host>

News from the world of Television

CTV hring questionable former CBC host>

Postby SKradiophile » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:52 pm

CBC on one its Facebook pages has just announced that Evan Solomon is the new host of CTV"s Question Period. Wasn't Solomon fired from the MotherCorp last year with proof of having too many financial connections to money story's he reported on for years? Now he's acceptable for CTV news. Hmmm......
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Re: CTV hring questionable former CBC host>

Postby the-real-deal » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:01 am

Evan Soloman was one of the rising stars of the political broadcast world, before the lesbians cut him short at CBC. He was a victim of the "holier than thou" post Ghomeshi CBC. I predict a winner here, plus he's young and brash. CTV, a mostly old, conservative, old fogies tv network of older stars, needed some youth in their lineup and Soloman fits the bill. We thank Bob Fife for his excellent contributions, but Bob was getting long in the tooth ? Soloman is a young, dynamic, gun slinger, to replace the Craig Olivers and whoever else is/was boring. He can do question period, weekend backup to Lisa Laflamme, and hell, he can even replace Laflamme, one day. Great acquisition for CTV ! As far as his past goes, selling art on the sly is hardly a transgression, tell me who has thrown the first stone, come forward now and cast the first sin !
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Roger Pedacter » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Lucky for CTV that those lesbians at CBC don't know what they're doing!

I hope there are no lesbians in charge at CTV, or this might really get messy!
Roger Pedacter
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:59 am

Roger Pedacter wrote:Lucky for CTV that those lesbians at CBC don't know what they're doing!

I hope there are no lesbians in charge at CTV, or this might really get messy!

Whenever I see employee parking predominate with Suburu Foresters I think to myself: "Uh oh..there's trouble brewing".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:57 pm

the-real-deal wrote:Evan Soloman was one of the rising stars of the political broadcast world, before the lesbians cut him short at CBC. He was a victim of the "holier than thou" post Ghomeshi CBC. I predict a winner here, plus he's young and brash. CTV, a mostly old, conservative, old fogies tv network of older stars, needed some youth in their lineup and Soloman fits the bill. We thank Bob Fife for his excellent contributions, but Bob was getting long in the tooth ? Soloman is a young, dynamic, gun slinger, to replace the Craig Olivers and whoever else is/was boring. He can do question period, weekend backup to Lisa Laflamme, and hell, he can even replace Laflamme, one day. Great acquisition for CTV ! As far as his past goes, selling art on the sly is hardly a transgression, tell me who has thrown the first stone, come forward now and cast the first sin !

Boy, how much did they pay you for that endorsement? Show some restraint! And, get over the AGE thing. In this business it simply means EXPERIENCE!
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:51 pm

gtbell wrote:Boy, how much did they pay you for that endorsement? Show some restraint! And, get over the AGE thing. In this business it simply means EXPERIENCE!

LOL Boy, you must really have a hate on for young people or the CBC, GT Bell.
Evan is a proven talent. Even the dumbest CTV hick gets that !
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:33 pm

There are no ethics left in the boredcasting business.
Conflict of interest, even a hint of it, used to be a firing offense.
Smart broadcasters regularly rotated reporter's beats to keep them from becoming too familiar with the people they were responsible for covering.
It still goes on, reporters covering the BC Leg who have spouses who work for the government.
The CBC has had its share, Solomon, the woman who was in a relationship with the bank president, the former BC Leg reporter who now works for the government, the list goes on and on.
Global with Leslie Roberts, etc., etc., etc.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:There are no ethics left in the boredcasting business.

On behalf of those still working hard in BROADCASTING as a career, I really take exception to your blanket remark Mike.
The people I work with at Power and Q in Kelowna give it their all, both behind the mic and in the office. I work for managers that let people do the job they were hired to do. I am proud to say there are no overboard egos in the building and many spend time outside the station doing things in the community.

Sure, many (including me) have been dealt the Ace of Spades and we hear about it ad nauseum here from the same half dozen people about how bad the industry is.
Guess what, it's what you decide to make of it.
A number have gone on to success in other fields and that's great. I just get annoyed with those no longer in the business who seem to be the first to complain about and industry that they are no longer a part of.
And I apologize for ending a sentence with a preposition.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:14 pm

I'm talking major markets, Russ.
Small markets are and always were a different animal, especially when they are not owned by corporations.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:47 am

After reading the posts of Mike and Russ, (two, very accomplished and respected news journalists) I am of the belief that the current state of news broadcasting is not as bad as Cleaver paints it out to be, but, also, it is not as good as Byth claims.

The truth of this matter is likely languishing somewhere in the middle, but integrity can still be found, even at the major market level.

Hopefully, the News Director of each station should have his/her own sense of integrity.

However, with the near extinction of independant owners, the News Director is not always typically in control of his department, anymore, as the corporations often lean on the News Director, knowing full well that the News Director can be manipulated and even be bent a little for his or her own corporate survival.

I wonder, does any broadcast management person have any authority at all, these days, or, do you have to suck "corporate cock" to keep your job, just like the rest of us ?
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:26 pm

I respect the comment that many including me who have left the business (many many years ago) should butt out on the commentary of about how it goes
in each station - big city or rural (Okanagan etc) TODAY

But it is quite difficult to hear all the stories of downsizing, firings etc without stating - there was not much of that in the "good old days" when moving around was king trying to get to a better place (pay). I actually never complained about the pay - it was just good to get the work and be near the likes of
Burns, Webster, Barker, Boyd, Swanguard, Jordon, Forst, Monty, Honey and a throng of others at the CBC, CJOR and CKNW.

Mike - it is different now. Our time is over. That's why we have RPM and Ted's Burger Fest to keep us happy in the peanut gallery.

Evan Solomon made so mistakes selling art on the side. Hopefully he has learned as lesson. I wish him the best - he is not a bad communicator and I believe
lots of people need a second chance.

From the cheap seat, :violent1: Johnny Overcoat, signing off
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:51 pm

I saw he had a show on NewsTalk 1010 or its sister station in Ottawa, can't remember which one, which are Bell Media Radio stations though I hope this isn't true. :)

If they want to hire an excellent host for "Question Period," they should look to Julie Van Dusen with the CBC, an often overlooked political investigative reporter with impeccable credibility, though I'd miss seeing her excellent reports on the CBC. Or, alternatively, Peter Van Dusen from CPAC, who has "come into his own" and is actually quite watcheable on Primetime Politics. Speaking of which, I have been able to find out if they are related. I'm guessing brother/sister?

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby yoshi » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:26 am

do you know how to spell hiring
yoshi
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:38 am

yoshi wrote:do you know how to spell hiring

A typo is not as bad as never using Caps to start a tought and punctuation marks to end it.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen