BC Election TV coverage

News from the world of Television

BC Election TV coverage

Postby kal » Tue May 09, 2017 10:45 pm

Opinion: the CBC coverage was the class of the field. Seamless coverage, solid reporting, engaging presentation anchored by Andrew Chang. Straightforward graphics.

Global/CKNW coverage was rather amateurish in comparison. As was CTV's.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: BC Election TV coverage

Postby WayneCox » Wed May 10, 2017 7:30 am

I flipped around to the 3 stations early last night, and ended up staying with CBC as well. (Apologies to my old friends at Global) The first thing that grabbed me was the graphic presentation. I didn't need to search for numbers, they were big and bold, and told the story. And, Andrew was very smooth throughout.
WayneCox

Postby Doug » Wed May 10, 2017 10:04 am

I have to disagree - CBC has "gutted" its CBC newscast, right down to their studio. Whereas they once had a Class A real studio with a nice anchor desk to seat four people when Gloria and Tony anchored and a provincial & local news team that numbered one- to two-dozen on-air talent members, they now have a TV screen on wheels and a cheap backdrop. While I appreciated Andrew's relief coverage on "The National" and believe he's very talented, he can't carry it himself.

I ended up watching CTV News Vancouver for the first time for election coverage simply because, there was literally no better option. And, Mike Killeen kept things impartial, serving as the de facto moderator between the two partisan hacks including Lorne Mayencourt (who I'd nearly forgotten!). The reporting coverage was more extensive and, while they may not have had CBC's fancy graphics (superficial, if you ask me), it was just better all around. :)

I was also ashamed that CPAC lost an opportunity to have a "fourth voice" with Peter Van Dusen and the Primetime Politics team providing "gavel-to-gavel coverage," as is their mantra, instead simulcasting Global TV's coverage (which I'm sure was better than CBC).

It's time to put CBC TV News out of their misery, fully defunding their increasingly op-ed piece heavy laden newscasts and, instead, double down on the investments in CBC Radio One and Two and maybe simulcast a live video+audio feed of CBC Radio One's newscasts on the main CBC TV news network. You just listen to their radio broadcast and you think, "ahhh...this is what TV news used to be when it was good!" ;)

Cheers,
Doug

P.S. I was appalled at former CBC turned CTV turned BC Liberal Party spokesperson and "hack" Stephen Smart in his on-air interviews, taking the Christy "low blow" debate tactic of repeating referring to Andrew Weaver as "Doctor Weaver," so as to try and paint him as elitist and out of touch. Shame on him!

The BC Liberal Party - we put to rest great journalists and we pay them well! :)
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Wed May 10, 2017 10:44 am

I will stick with my assertion that CBC carried the day.

I was surprised that Kevin Falcon was the main analyst for the right side of the political spectrum. I have assumed he was waiting in the wings to challenge for the Liberal leadership once again (he lost to Christy Clark). Depending how the final numbers play out we would see CC stepping down within 6 months, setting the stage for a leadership contest.

I switched among the three main channels but returned most often to CBC. The "close ridings" board was particularly effective as the endgame coverage plaed out.

The Global coverage was marred by Sophie Lui having to point at and read obvious values on the screen for the benefit of the 'NW radio listeners. Keith Baldrey was initially uncomfortable with the VR / green-screen set. He did eventually acclimate.

Quite a number of the CBC reporters were previously with News1130. At least four by my count.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Victoriaradio » Wed May 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Without question CBC provided the best election night coverage for the Greater Vancouver area - crisp, comprehensive, intelligent, and easy to read graphics. Andrew was consistent, engaged, and informed!
Victoriaradio
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Thu May 11, 2017 8:28 am

kal wrote:I will stick with my assertion that CBC carried the day.

I was surprised that Kevin Falcon was the main analyst for the right side of the political spectrum. I have assumed he was waiting in the wings to challenge for the Liberal leadership once again (he lost to Christy Clark). Depending how the final numbers play out we would see CC stepping down within 6 months, setting the stage for a leadership contest.

I switched among the three main channels but returned most often to CBC. The "close ridings" board was particularly effective as the endgame coverage plaed out.

The Global coverage was marred by Sophie Lui having to point at and read obvious values on the screen for the benefit of the 'NW radio listeners. Keith Baldrey was initially uncomfortable with the VR / green-screen set. He did eventually acclimate.

Quite a number of the CBC reporters were previously with News1130. At least four by my count.

Full term or not, this is Christy's last ride. She'll retire in two years and either focus on her family or seek a larger federal role prior to 2019, giving way to a fresh face.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Thu May 11, 2017 11:53 am

I was very impressed with the CBC coverage. After watching all others I too say CBC won the night. Everybody in SK was very interested because BC is where we'll all end up.
Bry
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Thu May 11, 2017 11:24 pm

CBC was on top of it. Andrew Chang was excellent. The CBC website had a dedicated page that updated the numbers all evening.

A nine vote spread here, with a recount coming. The green party candidate here, with 20% of the vote, is a sign of change...
PMC

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri May 12, 2017 1:41 pm

Andrew Chang & CBC were miles ahead of the drivel coming from GlobalBC & CTV. At least we were provided with some relevant coverage & discussion unlike the other two who seemed more interested in talking about social media's affect on the election & whether Christy Clark reads Twitter postings. CTV Vancouver Island wasn't much better & their graphics displaying real-time results were difficult to read. The few times my wife & I tuned in to CIVI they weren't even talking about any island ridings or voter concerns. Christy Clarks' white hard-hat, jeans & boots were a far more interesting topic than island election results. On a much different level, our little TV station that actually serves the islands did an admirable job of focusing on island ridings, interviews with island MLAs/leaders past & present. A big thumbs up from me to CHEK-TVs Rob Germaine & his hard-working news team led by Stacy Ross & Ben o'Hara-Byrne for a job well done, in spite of some technical glitches with their remotes due to streaming bandwidth issues. We flipped between CHEK & CBC Vancouver to get all the information we wanted from election coverage. :canflag1:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sat May 13, 2017 11:22 am

You have to wonder if the people at Lake City / Global HQ in Burnaby take notice of this forum. Perhaps someone there had the smarts to record the CBC/Andrew Chang election night coverage. It should be mandatory viewing for those in charge of programming this sort of event. Perhaps it can influence coverage of the next election, which could come in as few as six months.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby mccrady » Sun May 14, 2017 9:06 am

It would appear that the CBC's flying circus ... the election unit based in Montreal ... has managed to largely escape the muthercorp's busy axe.

All these guys do is elections .. provincial and federal. When one is called, a truckload of computer, networking, phone and other equipment shows up at the local station's door. The unit handles everything: recruiting people to phone in poll results, doing pre-election surveys (never used for stories) to pre-determine likely outcomes and inputting the results to the election softare's database. The local newsroom's involvement in all this is minimal.

It's a well-oiled machine the sole purpose of which is to produce reliable predictions and results quickly, and it looks better every time out. If the CBC would apply the same resolve and resources to local coverage around the country, the resulting shows wouldn't be so pitiful.
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sun May 14, 2017 5:26 pm

This time around I didn't see any evidence of poll results being phoned in. It seemed that all the networks used the same data feed from Elections BC. Certainly the results were identical, to within seconds, on all three networks I was monitoring.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon May 15, 2017 6:40 am

kal wrote:This time around I didn't see any evidence of poll results being phoned in. It seemed that all the networks used the same data feed from Elections BC. Certainly the results were identical, to within seconds, on all three networks I was monitoring.

Elections BC had a deal with the Canadian Press to provide data to subscribers. When a polling station anywhere in the province reported its totals, then the data would be updated instantly. Stations simply had to code their websites or their on-air graphics to show the results.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:17 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:Andrew Chang & CBC were miles ahead of the drivel coming from GlobalBC & CTV. At least we were provided with some relevant coverage & discussion unlike the other two who seemed more interested in talking about social media's affect on the election & whether Christy Clark reads Twitter postings. CTV Vancouver Island wasn't much better & their graphics displaying real-time results were difficult to read. The few times my wife & I tuned in to CIVI they weren't even talking about any island ridings or voter concerns. Christy Clarks' white hard-hat, jeans & boots were a far more interesting topic than island election results. On a much different level, our little TV station that actually serves the islands did an admirable job of focusing on island ridings, interviews with island MLAs/leaders past & present. A big thumbs up from me to CHEK-TVs Rob Germaine & his hard-working news team led by Stacy Ross & Ben o'Hara-Byrne for a job well done, in spite of some technical glitches with their remotes due to streaming bandwidth issues. We flipped between CHEK & CBC Vancouver to get all the information we wanted from election coverage. :canflag1:

I'm not a fan of Andrew Chang in Vancouver as I was him hosting "The National" with his "stand-up schtick," though that's admittedly not his choice - it's CBC Vancouver's poor management's decision! His questions lack any hard-hitting or newsworthy and are more of the same, bland "sheep journalism". The banter between him and Joanna Wagstaffe is beyond stale. Really not liking CBC Vancouver at all since Tony & Gloria left - it's got the appearance of being quite "low rent" and "half baked". :(

Contrast that with, say, CBC Calgary, where, I think, Rob Brown (formerly of CTV News Vancouver) is immensely talented and deserves high marks.

CHEK-TV is getting better and, I agree, some technical "hiccups" but Ben O'Hara Byrne was a solid "get" - not sure how they nabbed him CTV's national news team as both a substitute anchor and also a bureau chief/correspondent in the Asia Pacific region. I'd rank them "tops" before CBC, but would still stick with CTV News Vancouver despite some Tamara's gaffes. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen