Shaw Gets It

News from the world of Television

Postby jon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:55 pm

Last time I checked, Shaw is the only Canadian cable company to offer Turner Classic Movies, even though the CRTC approved it for distribution nearly 10 years ago. This afternoon, I discovered that they have displaced the Golf Channel to digital cable, so they can offer American Movie Classics (AMC) on Channel 39 (TCM is 49). At least, that is the channel placement here in Edmonton.

TCM effectively ate AMC's lunch when Turner bought the MGM film library and went head to head with AMC in the early '90s. A friend in North Carolina says that AMC is a shadow of its former self, and seems to play rock bottom stuff in colour, rather than first rate black and white material. Presumably, aiming at the new TV generation that abhors black and white.

Both TCM and AMC offer movies (and shorts and special features) uninterrupted by advertising. Movies are shown in their original format (screen aspect).

TCM is, by far, my favourite television channel.

Shaw has had time shift U.S. stations for a long time, but now offers Canadian stations, including my favourite call letters (CJON) from Newfoundland, for $3 and change per month on digital cable. They have also added some more HDTV channels.

My "Shaw Gets It" title refers to my opinion that Shaw is the best cable company in Canada, in terms of delivering what I want at a price I can afford. U.S. and Canadian satellite competitors are another topic. I just don't like the technology, so never form an opinion on them, one way or the other.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:34 am

Kickin' report! Thanks for your opinion Jon.

BCK
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby XFM » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:55 pm

Just so long as someone, somewhere, continues to offer APTN. How could I live without this gem? I would live with reservations.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
XFM
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:03 pm

Typical wabshtee.

That's all I'm sayin'
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen