Sly Stone living out of a van. (It's the 60's all over!)

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Sly Stone living out of a van. (It's the 60's all over!)

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:40 pm

By Tim Kenneally at TheWrap

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:47am EDT

If Sly Stone ever decides to take his show on the road and tour again, at least he won't have to walk far to the van.

The Sly & the Family Stone frontman, known for such hits in the lte '60s and early '70s as "Dance to the Music," "Everyday People" and "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)," is currently homeless, and living in a van in Los Angeles' rough-and-tumble Crenshaw district, according to a report co-written by Stone documentarian William Alkema for the New York Post.

Also read: Review: After 29 Years, Sly Stone Is "Back" -- Well, in Name at Least

According to the article, as little as four years ago, the 68-year-old musician -- born Sylvester Stewart -- lived in a lavish Napa Valley home complete with a vineyard, and had several cars. But in recent years, a drug habit (Stone has been arrested multiple times for cocaine possession) and fiscal difficulties (last year he sued his former manager, Jerry Goldstein, for $50 million, claiming that Goldstein had defrauded him) led Stone into his current situation.

Not that he appears to mind.

“I like my small camper,” Stone tells the Post. “I just do not want to return to a fixed home. I cannot stand being in one place. I must keep moving.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/ ... 5420110926
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Re: Sly Stone living out of a van. (It's the 60's all over!)

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:39 pm

You forgot "(I want to take you) HIGHER"...
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Hummm .... looks like Sly should have been smart enough to read the book "Sudden Money" by Susan Bradley.

Deals with people who are "average Joes and Janes" who have a financial windfall like a lottery win, an inheritance, a capital gain from selling a house, etc. It doesn't have to be a big dollar amount like a 20 million lotto win, it just needs to be more money than the person is used to having.

The vast majority will blow it.

Poor Sly could be a case study.

http://www.suddenmoney.com/Public/Publi ... /index.cfm
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:47 pm

PicturesForYourEars wrote:You forgot "(I want to take you) HIGHER"...

Around 1969...I remember playing that and `Sex Machine' when the ordered pizza would arrive at the station... the delivery person made the request :)
PMC

Postby hagopian » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:40 pm

A Cautionary tale.
Michael Jackson gets the catalog for pocket change - (*he beat out Macca for McCartney's OWN publishing) - and Sly and the hangers on, IRS and DRUGS did the rest.

This story makes me feel very sad - take a look at Woodstock and see an ALIVE, Sly Stewart.

It must just drive Larry Graham and his many friends around the bend.

Rehab, and long term care is what this talented and desperate man needs.

Awful.

Nothing funny in the LEAST.

Ask for help - it's there, man!

Bob Forrest is the therapist I would call on - Pasadena Recovery Center - Bob is a musician and maybe he can reach Sly.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes