Canadian Musician Jim Pirie Dies

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Canadian Musician Jim Pirie Dies

Postby jon » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:11 am

I haven't seen any News stories on the subject, just this obit, but Canadian Talent Library staple Jim Pirie has died:
PIRIE, Jim Gary - Canadian Musician Peacefully on November 22, 2011 in his 70th year. Beloved wife of Diane Pirie. Loving father to Joshua and Noelle Pirie and father-in-law to Doug Anderson. Family and friends may visit at M.A. Clark & Sons Funeral Home, 567 Upper Wellington St., Hamilton, L9A 3P8, from noon to 1 p.m. on Saturday, December 3, 2011. Memorial service will be begin at 1 p.m. December 3, 2011. Cremation has taken place. Condolences are welcomed on the funeral home website. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Lung Association of Ontario are appreciated.

I know many who hate the Canadian Talent Library: those mostly white LP covers that suddenly appeared in radio control rooms when CanCon became law in 1971. But I had the benefit of Jurgen Goth's young ear at CHQM for a year (1971-72) to come up with some fine cuts among the many instrumental covers of Top 40 hits that seemed to my even younger ear to take the "soul" right out of the original song.

Jim Pirie was often behind those gems. Not always on an album filed under P, because he played on so many other Toronto artists' albums, too.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes