American Pie

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

American Pie

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:51 am

The iconic and lyrically enigmatic hit by Don McLean was just beginning it's climb up to number one at just about this date in December 40 years ago and now, after all that time, Don himself clears up a few facts that, over the decades, have twisted away from the truth.

McLean says "American Pie" was written in Philadelphia, not the upstate New York bar that has long laid claim to it.

The Post-Star of Glens Falls, NY writes that the 66-year-old singer and songwriter says that, contrary to local lore, he didn't write the song on cocktail napkins at the Tin and Lint in Saratoga Springs. He also says the first time he performed the song wasn't at Caffe Lena, a famous coffeehouse around the corner from the bar.
McLean states he wrote "American Pie" in Philadelphia and performed it for the first time at Temple University.

I know that this is likely one of those "who gives a rat's" facts but at least now you'll have something new to say about it the next time you play it; assuming you still have a job where they allow you to comment on something that isn't vetted, cleared and written on a liner card.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: American Pie

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:41 am

Well NS. Isn't that hilarious! Yesterday morning I tuned in in the middle of a story and caught the tail end of an entertainment piece near the top of the hour in the News1130 newswheel, something about denied writing it on a cocktail napkin and disputed where it was first played.

The story ended without me being able to learn what song/artist they were talking about. It didn't matter as I made a note to myself to check back later in the day knowing they would 'repeat' the story. I forgot to.

I woke up this morning still thinking about it believe it or not and was tring to figure it out - was it Lennon/Imagine, etc. etc.

You kept me from googling "written on cocktail napkins' this morning with your timely post.

Too funny. Keep up the good work.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes