Jimmy Castor dead at 71

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Jimmy Castor dead at 71

Postby 45 RPM » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 am

Soul musician Jimmy Castor dies at the age of 71

Soul saxophonist and singer Jimmy Castor, one of the most sampled artists in music history, has died aged 71.

The musician, who is credited with influencing many hip hop artists, died in a Las Vegas hospital, family members confirmed.

His hits Just Begun and Troglodyte were sampled by many artists including Ice Cube and Usher.

Kanye West used Castor's I Just Wanna Stop on his track We Don't Care, which featured on his debut album.

Castor's son Jimmy Castor Jr said the first few chords of It's Just Begun are instantly recognisable.

"No matter what country you're in, no matter what language you speak, everyone knows it," he said.

A sample of the song was famously used in the breakdance battle scene in the 1983 movie Flashdance.

Castor's work has been sampled by other artists more than 3,000 times, the star's son added.

Dancer Richard Colon, professionally known as Crazy Legs, paid tribute to the star, saying "people have been impacted by him and don't even know it".

The musician began his career for filling in for rock and roll singer Frankie Lymon when he was unable to perform with his band the Teenagers.

The star soon went on to form his own group, Jimmy and the Juniors, who wrote and recorded the song I Promise to Remember, which was later also recorded by Lymon and the Teenagers in 1956.

In 1972 Castor started another band, the Jimmy Castor Bunch, which concentrated on funk music.

They had hits with Troglodyte and The Bertha Butt Boogie.

Castor continued to work until last summer, and in November suffered a heart attack and underwent quadruple heart bypass surgery.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16607855
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Re: Jimmy Castor dead at 71

Postby radiofan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:30 pm

I first heard the name Jimmy Castor in 1966 when CKLG played his song "Hey Leroy, Your Mama's Callin' You". Jimmy reappeared in 1972 with his smash hit "Troglodyte".

From the LP that contained Troglodyte, was a great instrumental track .. it was Jimmy's version of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", mostly sax .. In the days when CFMI was an automated E-Z
listening station, the phones would go crazy anytime that played. The LP, "First Take", was no longer available in Canada so if any listeners really wanted it, they'd have to drive down to Bellingham
or Seattle to find a copy.

I would loved to have seen the reaction to "Troglodyte" on anyone's face who bought the album based on "First Time..."
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Jimmy Castor dead at 71

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:45 pm

T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes