Sandy Benefit Show

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Sandy Benefit Show

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:17 am

Remarkable, the absence of chatter about this on my usual on-line sources this morning. Admittedly, I do not "tweet" so maybe that's where the talk is.
I missed most of the first two-thirds of the broadcast, came in half-way through Kanye who was doing what he does; not really for me, but I'm perceptive enough of the genre to know that he's good at it.
Most of what I did see and hear was a little on the "meh" side and the in-between routines were just painful and completely not funny; Seth Meyer from SNL and whoever that was with him doing the "drunk uncle" skit? big time awful and the very fact that it preceded the performance by Billy Joel, someone noted for his problems with alcohol?? Ouch!
Now the positives. Paul McCartney saved the day as usual, same as he did at the Hall of Fame show; had the same kick-ass drummer on this gig too. Sir Paul may have lost a little in his voice over time and seemed, at times, a little disoriented to me (maybe had a touch of one of all the flu's going around right now and had a few meds in the system, I don't know) but choosing to open with Helter Skelter and "jamming" with the remaining members of Nirvana demonstrated that, even in what for most would be retirement years, he has no intention of "phoning it in".
Sorry I missed The Rolling Stones earlier on, I heard that Mick was dynamic.
Finally the biggest positive of all was the cause itself. I only wish this kind of attention and effort was given to the people of Louisiana when they suffered through Katrina.
Still not too late.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: Sandy Benefit Show

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:29 am

Hear, Hear NS!

I particularly enjoyed Sir Paul's choices of songs for his set. It was nice to hear him do some less often played tunes - 1985 and Let Me Roll It.

I remarked to a friend about how amazing it is to see "old dudes" (forgive me) like the Who and the Stones still rocking and as you say not phoning it in.

Just wish the audio for the vocals was better on AMC last night and that the FCC was less up tight. Uncle Pete (Townshend) as NBC's Brian Williams called him last night, managed to blow past the censors reaction time and Kanye's set was hard to follow with so many "bleeps."
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:46 am

Coincidentally, with all the channels carrying the concert, I just happened to have watched it on the AMC feed as well and, yes, the audio was a bit below par. Was that the case with all carriers? I expect so, usually these issues are a "source" problem.
The drummer I referred to earlier is Abe Laboriel Jr. He, like guitarist Rusty Anderson and guitarist/bass player Brian Ray, have been Sir Paul's tour-mates since 2001; very polished musicians yes?
I also mentioned Paul McCartney shining at the Hall of Fame show last year; was that the one I'm thinking of or was it some other televised event to which I can't connect the dots?
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:25 pm

NS - nailed it - the Drunk Bit with Seth Myers was Disgusting.

Joel and Sir Macca and The Who were amazing. (*Glad to see Joel looking a bit better than last time I saw him, I hope he keeps getting healthier).

Kanye West hogged the stage, and what's with the gladiator dress, dude?

As per Sir Paul's voice>?

One - he has been on the road - for a while and Two - he also quit smoking ganga, two months ago.

Takes a while for the system to rid itself of the effects - and that flu, NS mentioned, might be in there too.

Kudos to the stage crew - amazingly smooth - considering.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes