Guilty pleasures

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Guilty pleasures

Postby Fillinguy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:30 am

Loving the most hated songs thread, but it brought back of lousy songs I like :)( I thought maybe a guilty pleasures confessional where we can admit and accept penance for the wretched songs we actually like.

Here I go..

The Night Chicago Died - Paperlace
Blockbuster - Sweet
Funky Town - Pseudo Echo
MacArthur park - Richard Harris (so incredulous and confusing what's not to like?)
He stopped Loving her today - George Jones.

I think I have impugned myself enough for now. :bag:
Fillinguy
Advanced Member

Re: Guilty pleasures

Postby Big Voice » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:25 pm

I'll play along. Give me a big shot of Mr. Businessman, Ray Stevens. Guilty. There, I got that out of my system. Thank you.
Big Voice
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:14 pm

I was actually more than moderately surprised that MacArthur Park "did so well" on the Most Hated list. Well, let me clarify that. I can understand a dislike of the cover versions by, in order of chart date on the Billboard Hot 100: Waylon Jennings, Four Tops, Andy Williams and Donna Summer. But only the original, written and produced by Jimmy Webb, and sung by Richard Harris, made the CBC Hate List. That puzzled me.

Or maybe I do understand. Like "American Pie", it is a very long song played mercilessly in constant rotation by many stations that include that era in their format. Both survived heavy repetition when they were first released because they were so groundbreaking.

Personally, I first heard "MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris on WLS in Chicago during a Monday morning (Sunday night after midnight) transmitter test. Long before the station charted it.

Those Monday morning hours were so precious to a DX'er like me because it really was the only time to catch anything interesting, either domestic or foreign. Yet, I was so captured by the song that I stuck out the entire length of it.

And, for many years, the fellow who created the Top 130 (and Bottom 10) countdown for 1969 that I aired on SFU's campus station, considered it his favourite song of all time.

The history of the song is also quite interesting. Jimmy Webb actually composed about 23 minutes of music, of which MacArthur Park was less than a third. He asked The Association to record it, but they would not "waste an entire LP side" on it, so Jimmy eventually recorded just the MacArthur Park segment himself, hand-picking each instrument's player, and the vocals, including Richard Harris. Each instrument was tracked separately, as Jimmy traveled the world to record each artist, including Harris.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:58 pm

I liked MacArthur Park. I guess I was in the minority.

Radio played what people liked. It was simple. Now, it is corporate, rat race music. Try and hum a few of the top five.

Bueno suarte.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:02 am

hagopian - like many in radio, I liked "McAthur Park" when I needed a 7 min washroom break :yahoo:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:07 pm

The MacArthur Park lyrics aren't so weird as they may, at first, first seem...

... once you know it's about going to the outdoor wedding ceremony of an ex-girlfriend... when it suddenly starts pouring with rain...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:15 pm

I gotta wonder, who in the hell would think a wedding in downtown Los Angeles' MacArthur Park would be a good idea??

Despite the rather poetic homage paid to it in the 1968 song, MacArthur Park became known for violence after 1985 when drug-dealing, shoot-outs and the occasional rumored drowning became commonplace, with as many as 30 murders in 1990. The Westlake area has also become famous for the sale of fake identification cards, especially those which allow non-US citizens to work in the US. When the lake was drained in 1973 and 1978 hundreds of handguns and other firearms were found to have been disposed of in the lake.

Gang-on-gang violence still occurs occasionally in and around the park, such as:

In 1995, a small, local gang in the Westlake and Downtown area called the Burlington Street Locos got into an argument with another man who was believed to be in a rival gang called the Crazy Town Locos. A few days before, a member of Crazy Town Locos struck a man from Burlington Street Locos across the face. Seeking revenge, members of the Burlington Street Locos went to look for members of the rival gang and thought that a man that looked like the target was him. Mistakenly, they fired a couple rounds into his chest, hiding the body in a garbage bag and throwing it in the lake.

In 1997, a member of MS 13 was found dead in the MacArthur Park lake. Police found his body two days after he died. Apparently, members of two small time gangs called the Crazy Riders and Drifters shot the victim in the chest and head after they found out he was selling crack on their turf.

In 2001, a couple members of the notorious 18th Street gang had a shootout with their rivals, the MS 13. A 18th Street clique known as MacArthur Park clique got into an argument with members of MS 13 which eventually led to a shootout. There were three deaths and two injuries.

In 2002, members of the 18th Street saw a member of another rival gang and beat the victim until he went into a critical condition. A day later, members of the victim's gang approached members of the 18th Street gang and started firing with semi-auto pistols. This event led to the death of two 18th Street members and an injury to an innocent bystander.

In 2005, three bodies in a trash bag were found in the lake. They were tied together and thrown into the lake after they had been stabbed and beaten. One of the bodies was identified as a man that belonged to MS 13.

In 2008, a shooting occurred while a birthday party was being held. Members of the 18th Street started firing towards a crowd filled with rival gang members. This led to the death of three people, a rival gang member and a mother and child.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:59 pm

A great tune about a toilet of mental health issues, and Republicans believe that every home should come with an assault rifle ! :(
PMC

Postby isthisthingon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:Image

I gotta wonder, who in the hell would think a wedding in downtown Los Angeles' MacArthur Park would be a good idea??

What's all that got to do with 1968 when Macarthur Park was a nice, peaceful place to hang out?
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:49 pm

I gotta wonder what we would do without Wikipedia...

:neutral:
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Give me Wikipedia, Youtube, duct tape and a hunting knife.
Nothing I couldn't do.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:56 pm

There's usually an item or two each week on KTLA News about some kind of gang violence at MacArthur Park.

As for the song, I'll take Waylon Jennings & The Kimberley's version any day. (Another of those non rock and roll songs that CKLG played in the 60's .. quite likely squeezed in between Hot Smoke
And ASassafrass by The Bubble Puppy and All Along The Watchtower by Hendrix .. followed of course by Love Is Blue (just for variety!)
A
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes