Unknown song fragment needs a name

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Unknown song fragment needs a name

Postby Toomas Losin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:42 pm

Way back around 1978 I recorded some songs off the air onto cassette but I must not have known what a VU meter was for because the record level was too hot, badly distorting the recording.

I have a fragment of a song that I can't identify but I would expect it to be recognizable to anyone who knows the song. There are lyrics but a search doesn't return any results, so maybe I'm just not understanding the badly distorted vocals. Music recognition apps give up.

It's on my web site at http://www.lenrek.net/dl/7683/unknown-song.mp3

Please, can anyone ID it for me?
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Re: Unknown song fragment needs a name

Postby Tape Splicer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Sorry, I can't help you with the song, title or artist... If you have a "smart phone' - you should be able to find an app that will allow you to play a song while the app "hears" the music. The app searches a daa base for the answer to the musical problem... Just a thought, good hunting .
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby underwater » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Can't help either. It can be frustrating! I taped a song in the late 70's about some guy travelling all night to New Mexico. Still looking for it!
underwater

Postby Recordman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:45 pm

I have your answer,the song is called No Time To Cry-Christopher Ward Warner Brothers Records CW 5501.
One of the original VJ`s from Much Music.
Recordman
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Thank you! And thanks to everyone who took a listen but couldn't ID it. I believe this was the last unidentified song fragment on the tapes I recorded from CFUN back in the late 70's.

This song must have almost disappeared from public memory because I mostly did hear the correct lyrics but a Google search did not find them. Even today, trying again, there is no luck.

There must be different edits of this song as the one on YouTube is missing the intro on my tape which I really like! Those opening licks might be similar to another song, because I was expecting one that was familiar to me from lots of airplay in the 70's and 80's rather than something I don't remember at all.

A listen to the whole song suggests to me that things must not have come together well during its creation. The music and lyrics in my fragment of the intro suggest something dark and mournful with a hint of hope but the rest of the song loses that direction with its bursts of happiness and doesn't deliver on the expectation that I had built up. I believe there's a good hit song there if the music could be reworked to deliver on that intro and be consistent in style throughout.

Sorry, underwater, I'm no help with the song you're looking for.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:50 pm

Sounds like this... but the posted clip sounds like it's playing a bit on the slow side..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAka65HXMfs
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:24 am

My clip? Yes, I expect it would be slow by about 5%. The cassette machine it was recorded on was purchased in 1968 and finally died in 1981, I believe. When I did the digital transfers of my cassettes I was able to identify which machine had originally recorded each one based on the speed error.

Y'know what my reference tone was, so I knew what the absolute speed error was? Almost all of the OTR tapes I recorded from Network Replay have the half-hourly 625 Hz CKNW time pip on them. It was annoying at the time but it proved handy in the end as I was geeking out doing the transfers.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes