Tom Petty is Dead

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Tom Petty is Dead

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Original Title: Tom Petty - Heart Attack -

TOM PETTY
FOUND UNCONSCIOUS IN FULL CARDIAC ARREST
UPDATE: We're told after Petty got to the hospital he had no brain activity and a decision was made to pull life support.
-----------------------------------------------------
Tom Petty was rushed to the hospital Sunday night after he was found unconscious, not breathing and in full cardiac arrest ... law enforcement sources tell TMZ.
EMTs rushed to his Malibu home and were able to get a pulse. He was rushed to the UCLA Santa Monica Hospital and our sources say he was put on life support.
Petty's condition is unknown but was critical from the moment he was found.
Petty, who became famous with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in 1978 with "Breakdown," is 66.
We've been in touch with numerous people from Petty's camp and they are clearly upset but not talking.

Link:http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/02/tom-petty-found-unconscious-full-cardiac-arrest/#
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Re: Tom Petty - Heart Attack -

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:48 pm

Mr. Petty has passed. RIP.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:08 pm

Now the LAPD refuses to say if Petty has passed.
Stand by.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:26 pm

TMZ is generally reliable on this stuff and they did not jump on the CBS report citing the LAPD that turned out to be inaccurate.

Sadly this is likely just a matter of hours
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:59 pm

I think its an issue over DNR.
I hope he survives.
Very dire. Very sad.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Tom Petty is Dead

Postby jon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:42 pm

CNN reports, just now: "Tony Dimitriades, longtime manager of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers,...confirmed Petty's death on behalf of the performer's family."

ref. - http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/entertain ... index.html
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Tom Petty is Dead

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:49 am

Back in 1976, I visited California, in part to try and flog songs by some Vancouver composers. I was spinning the FM dial in San Diego when a tune called Strangered In The Night stopped me cold. Snaky guitar riffs and eerie phased harmonies complemented a drawling vocalist who'd obviously listened to Bob Dylan and Roger McGuinn of The Byrds. Afterwards, the late-night DJ said it was by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers from their eponymous debut album.

I dug that a young rocker would toy with the title of Frank Sinatra's iconic Strangers In The Night. Don't know if Ol' Blue Eyes was amused..or if he even heard it! Breakdown was the album's main single. Even then, it took a 1978 re-release for Breakdown to make it, barely, to #40 on Billboard. Not long after that re-release, I snagged an interview with Tom for Discumentary, Dave McCormick's syndicated program. He proved a gracious subject, someone very aware of past and present musical trends. He obligingly recounted his childhood encounter with Elvis Presley on the Florida set of Follow That Dream. That meeting, plus seeing The Beatles on Ed Sullivan about three years later persuaded Tom at an early age that rock music would be his vocation. And what a worker bee he became.

Pettyphiles should go to CBC.ca and find Q's Tuesday broadcast. Tom Power spoke to Cameron Crowe about Tom's legacy. The venerable rock writer/film director spoke of their friendship and how Tom's songs fit so perfectly into several Crowe movies.

For we aging boomers, Tom Petty's death is another kick in the gut. Modern medicine is supposed to let us live long and active lives. But there's sure a lot of well-heeled musical stars checking out (mostly from natural causes) in their sixties or early seventies. Bless you, Tom, for what you left behind.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 am

"Tom Petty Died From Accidental Drug Overdose Involving Opioids, Coroner Says"
New York Times story at https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/19/arts ... rdose.html
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:54 am

Guess if you believe the wife and daughter, Tom’s demise was due to accidentally overdosing on prescribed pain meds for what had become a fractured hip. I’m guessing they went public because of some pending press expose.

If the family’s version stands, perhaps his passing can still be partially labelled as “natural”. I’ll really start wondering if they next haul out some obliging physician (like one of Trump’s eyebrow-raising GPs) to cast their deceased family member in a warm-and-fuzzy light.

Doubt this is the last we’ll hear about the final days of Mr. Petty.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes