It will be Sir Ringo Starr and Sir Barry Gibb...soon.

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

It will be Sir Ringo Starr and Sir Barry Gibb...soon.

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:39 pm

The Beatles drummer Ringo Starr and Bee Gees founder member Barry Gibb have been awarded knighthoods in the Queen's New Year honors.

Starr's knighthood comes more than half a century after he received an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) at the height of the Fab Four's fame. His former bandmate and the only other surviving Beatle, Sir Paul McCartney received the same accolade in 1997.

In a statement, Starr said it was "an honor and a pleasure to be considered and acknowledged for my music and my charity work, both of which I love. Peace and love. Ringo."

Starr's more recent solo album, Give More Love (featuring a guest appearance by McCartney) was released earlier this year. Having recently completed a tour of the U.S., the drummer's All Starr Band embarks on a 21-date tour of Europe and Israel in June.

Barry Gibb, who is recognized for his services to music and charity, told the Press Association that being awarded a knighthood was "a moment in life to be treasured and never forgotten."

"I am deeply honored, humbled and very proud," the 71-year-old went on to say, paying tribute to his brothers and Bee Gees co-founders, Maurice and Robin, who died in 2003 and 2012, respectively.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8085604/ringo-starr-barry-gibb-knighted-queen-new-year-honors
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Re: It will be Sir Ringo Starr and Sir Barry Gibb...soon.

Postby Richard Skelly » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Too bad they can’t be awarded posthumously...to Maurice and Robin Gibb...plus George Harrison and John Lennon. Then again, maybe George and John would have refused.

Makes one wonder if Keith Richards, who decried Mick Jagger as a sellout for being knighted, would sing a different tune if chosen by Her Majesty? The Queen really should have selected Keef at the same time as Mick. But for the constant cajoling Of Stones’ founder Brian Jones (RIP) and songwriting partner Richards, young Jagger would probably have ditched music for a degree from the London School Of Economics.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes