"Little Daddie" ... Tommy Melton passes

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

"Little Daddie" ... Tommy Melton passes

Postby radiofan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Bill Reiter passed along this note ...

Just heard that Tommy Melton has passed - died in his sleep. They called him Little Daddie - The Group Little Daddie and The Bachelors

Tommy was also with the band The Calgary Shades which included Tommy Chong back in the day

Tommy Melton was replaced by Bobby Taylor and the group became The Vancouver's.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: "Little Daddie" ... Tommy Melton passes

Postby radiofan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:14 pm

From Larry "Firedog" Morton's archives ....

ImageImageImageImage
...................... 1962-05-11.........................................................1963-02-21...............................................1963-03-22............................................1964-10-10............

ImageImageImage
...................... 1964-10-10.......................................................................1965-05-01......................................................................................1965-11-04........
ImageImage
.......................1966-09-03..............................................................................................1960-02-26...................................
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Mar 12, 1966

From April of 1967, Larry has passed along some Vancouver Sun Jack Wasserman columns regarding Little Daddie & The Bachelors controversial name change ...

April 21, 1967

April 25, 1967

April 28, 1967
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:56 pm

The Generational turn is picking up speed.

RIP, Mr. Melton.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Sunday's Can-Con 45 of the day is Little Daddie & The Bachelors 1964 hit "Junior's Jerk" ...

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=29025
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:57 pm

Golly, Four Niggers and a Chink played some real dives back in the day. I see east side nightclubs listed here that probably opened and closed within a couple of months.
Exceptions?
The Elegant Parlour was,and is,historic as Celebrities on Davie near Burrard. The Clinton Hall way out on E. Pender is today a rental banquet hall that actually looks pretty cool a venue and appears to be in excellent condition by looking at pictures posted on their website. A great little stage, a sold wooden dance floor and even a balcony. Kind of a Commodore Ballroom in miniature.
Funny, you know. I was growing up in Calgary in 1971, listening to all those stoned Cheech and Chong bits, never realizing that Tommy Chong came out of the same neighborhood.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:16 pm

Condolences to Tommy Melton’s family, friends and aging (like me) fans.

Funny how the 4NAAC tale almost never appears in retrospectives of Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers (which directly evolved from Little Daddie & The Bachelors) or Cheech and Chong. Tommy Melton’s successor Bobby Taylor recently passed. Tommy Chong is ailing but (knock on wood) continues to use humour to make the world a more bearable place.

Love those old ads and Wasserman articles contributed for this Melton tribute by Larry Morton. One only hopes that FireDog, when the time comes (no rush, though), donates those files to a museum or cultural archive to help future generations of Vancouverites understand their city’s glorious entertainment past.

As a kid, I absolutely adored the old club mini-ads that dotted the entertainment pages of The Vancouver Sun and The Province. Beset by strange physical stirrings, I always noticed the “vaudeville” ads for joints like the New Delhi and Smiling Buddha. Especially when they touted the return of Motown marvel Lottie The Body. I have seen one Tommy Chong profile where, in discussing the brief 4NAAC controversy, he mentions how Lottie once watched a rehearsal and then said “I see the N’s but where’s the C?” That led to a melee when Tommy Chong’s enraged father attacked Lottie and her entourage.

Great memories. Thank you Tommy Melton for your pivotal role in helping that history unfold.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes