Kate McGarrigle dead at 63

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Kate McGarrigle dead at 63

Postby radiofan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:21 am

Folk singer Kate McGarrigle dies
Quebecer teamed with sister Anna to record 10 albums
Last Updated: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 | 12:36 PM ET

Canadian folk and roots music singer Kate McGarrigle, best known for her work with her sister, Anna, as the McGarrigle Sisters, has died at age 63.

McGarrigle, born in Montreal, died Monday night after battling a rare form of cancer, confirmed her brother-in-law, journalist Dane Lanken.

Reports that McGarrigle was critically ill surfaced over the weekend after her son, Rufus, cancelled his tour of Australia and New Zealand, scheduled to begin in February, to be with her.

Kate and Anna McGarrigle, known for the originality of their music and their vocal harmonies, performed together for three decades.

The McGarrigle sisters recorded 10 albums in French and English, and their songs have been covered by artists such as Linda Ronstadt, Billy Bragg and Emmylou Harris.

Kate McGarrigle was born on Feb. 6, 1946, in Saint-Sauveur-des-Monts, Que., of mixed English and French-Canadian heritage. Her sister, Anna, is two years older. They took piano lessons from the village nuns and sang together as a family while growing up.

In the 1960s, while studying engineering at McGill University, McGarrigle began performing in the Montreal folk scene with her sister. In a 2005 interview with The Canadian Press, Anna McGarrigle said her father objected to them performing.

"He would have hated the idea of us becoming professional musicians because he thought professional musicians were bums, people that wandered from town to town," she said, after accepting a lifetime achievement award from ASCAP, the respected American songwriting association.

They began composing their own songs, including Heart Like a Wheel, which was picked up by Ronstadt. On the strength of their songwriting, they were offered a contract with Warner Bros., recording their debut album Kate and Anne McGarrigle in 1975. It was named album of the year by Melody Maker and the No. 2 record of the year by the New York Times.

Other internationally acclaimed albums include Dancer with Bruised Knees, Pronto Monto, an all-French album, Love Over and Over and Heartbeats Accelerating.

Their repertoire includes songs such as:

Heart Like a Wheel.
Goin' Back to Harlan.
Complainte pour Ste. Catherine.
Love Over and Over.
Heartbeats Accelerating.
Talk to Me of Mendocino.
On My Way to Town.

The 1996 album Matapédia and 1998's The McGarrigle Hour earned them Juno Awards for best roots and traditional album of the year.

The McGarrigle Hour, featuring performances by Loudon Wainwright, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris, became a TV concert special and a DVD release the following year.

The McGarrigles have appeared widely on television, including on Sharon, Lois and Bram's Elephant Show, Saturday Night Live, CTV and CBC.

The McGarrigles performed and recorded with Irish group The Chieftains, Leonard Cohen, Joan Baez, Maria Muldaur and Quebec's Gilles Vigneault.

In the 2000s, Kate and Anna were invited by producer Hal Willner to participate in a series of concerts celebrating the work of Harry Smith, the filmmaker and collector of American folk music. They performed concerts in Los Angeles, London and New York with artists such as Brian Ferry, Nick Cave, Van Dyke Parks, Jarvis Cocker and Lou Reed.

Rufus Wainwright said in an interview with London's Telegraph that his musical parents helped set the course of his life.

"The truth is, I've drawn a lot of my creative inspiration from Mum and her background," he said. "She's a very earthy, very instinctual woman, and that comes out in her music. I knew very early on that, like her and Dad, I wanted to be a singer-songwriter."

The McGarrigles' final album, released in 2005, was The McGarrigle Christmas Hour, though they contributed to the Northern Songs in 2008. Kate McGarrigle gave her final performance in Montreal just before Christmas.

In 1993, McGarrigle was appointed a member of the Order of Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010 ... -obit.html
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Kate McGarrigle dead at 63

Postby ChestForRadio » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:07 pm

RIP.

Am a fan of the whole family.
ChestForRadio

Postby PMC » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Last night, I was listening to Linda Ronstadt doing Heartbeats Accelerating, one of many excellent tunes by the McGarrigle Sisters.

My condolences to the family.
PMC

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:05 am

A favorite of mine and I'm sure many others; "The Log Driver's Waltz"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ekqsHP9Sck
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:20 am

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:A favorite of mine and I'm sure many others; "The Log Driver's Waltz"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ekqsHP9Sck

That is a good one... many young children saw/enjoyed that, because of the NFB and their libraries.
PMC

Postby PMC » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Forgot to add this to my last post http://www.nfb.ca/ and all can be watched online etc.
PMC

Return to Music Notes