The Day The Music Died

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

The Day The Music Died

Postby radiofan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:03 am

February 3rd, 1959

From The Vancouver Sun February 3, 1959

From The Province February 4, 1959

Thanks to Firedog for sharing these clippings.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: The Day The Music Died

Postby Firedog » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:25 pm

Note: Buddy Holly was actually 22 years old and J.P. Richardson was 28 years old at the time of the crash. In the picture of the crash site, Ritchie Valens is on the right forefront, Buddy Holly is on the left forefront and J.P. Richardson is on the left, behind the plane, across the fenceline. Roger Peterson is still in the plane wreckage.
We are running in, when everybody else is running out.
Firedog
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:05 pm

It's stunning how much information is available these days via a few quick internet searches; case in point, firedog being able to pinpoint which fallen star fell where.
In short order I was able to find a google map location showing me exactly where the plane crashed, from where it took off from the tiny Mason airport a short distance away and extensive info and pictures of the Surf Ballroom where Buddy and the rest played their final show in nearby Clear Lake, Iowa.
I was also allowed to view the FAA evaluation of the crash (pilot error. he had a medical history of vertigo and was unfamiliar with the craft's altimeter gauge) the initial medical examiner's report of the crash scene, photos of the contents of Buddy Holly's overnight bag and, even more personal in detail, the subsequent coroner's evaluation of Buddy's fatal injuries (too lurid for me to feel comfortable about relating but let's just say, at least in Buddy's case, it was mercifully quick).
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:39 pm

If you can believe the Gary Busey movie, Holly didn't even want to go on the tour.
glaherty
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes