Bands that should get together for a reunion tour

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Bands that should get together for a reunion tour

Postby crs » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:53 pm

One of those "Let's have fun with this" topics. At the top of my list would be the Electric Light Orchestra (ELO). Their unique fusion of rock and strings has never been duplicated. FYI the brains behind ELO, Jeff Lynne, is STILL not in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. Can someone explain why??

Anybody else got a dream band that needs to tour? Let's keep it to realistic reunions (i.e.: only 2 living Beatles makes a reunion tour impossible).
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Re: Bands that should get together for a reunion tour

Postby jon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:38 am

It is depressing checking bands that would be of interest. The Impressions (Jerry Butler and Curtis Mayfield) and The Dave Clark Five, for example, both have key members who have passed away.

Solo artists are a little easier. The problem there tends to be that the innocence in young voices has been lost. So, that leaves more mature voices like Petula Clark.

Not sure if he still tours, but Dion looked and sounded fabulous the last time I saw him perform on PBS. I have great admiration for him, as he was the first artist I knew that beat a hard core drug problem.

The late Robert O. Smith and I had this discussion about 10 years ago: those few great artists that are still well grounded, and were able to handle the waning of their #1 hit period popularity. Gene Pitney was the one I remember him mentioning. But, alas, Gene passed away in 2006.

Both Gene and Dion were more than willing to play their original material in concerts over the last decade, while other artists pushed their current material on fans of their original material, and there was considerable friction. I know that was a complaint about Johnny Rivers when he came to Edmonton around 2004, and the late Rick Nelson wrote a song about his own experience ("Garden Party").
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:02 am

Rather than suffer the sad display of old men well past their best before dates it would be better to wish for a time and space machine so as to travel back to the shows you wish you'd been there for.
Sherman, set the "Way-Back machine" for the El Mocambo in Toronto and the mid 70's Rolling Stones or any of the great old small rooms like Alex Cooley's in Atlanta or the Troubadour or the Whiskey in L.A.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby groundwave » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:52 pm

crs wrote:FYI the brains behind ELO, Jeff Lynne, is STILL not in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. Can someone explain why??

Some things defy explanation. Even Alice Cooper (birth name Vince Furnier) has yet to be inducted and he's as iconic a name in the genre as any solo artist who's been around since the early seventies. Go figure.
groundwave
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:24 am

As far as reunions go, the two bands I'd like to see touring are the original Creedence Clearwater Revival (RIP Tom Fogerty), and the firstl (and best sounding) incarnation of Dire Straits circa "Sultans" . Sadly, passings and internal battles will probably prevent either from ever occuring. These two touring would certainly set ticket window sales records, and make a lot of music lovers happy to cough up the benjamins for a one nighter.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby hagopian » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:41 am

Seeing aged rockers come out and wheeze through songs that I either played so much I got sick of them, or mangle songs that are near and dear to my once innocent teenaged heart, in a word, blows.
The PBS Series of Fifties and Sixties hit makers made me sad. Guys in the audience, clapping while the mask from the oxygen tank pumps - not so much.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:47 am

Ah, Sennheiser, listen carefully to " Love YouLive" and you can hear my table all yelling Incoherently at Margaret Trudeau who was sitting right over there. Her RCMP minders were having apoplexy. I never could figure out what she saw in Ronnie Wood....oh, and I think Bill Wyman was about 4 foot two. What a night. Sherman can pay for the trays of Heineken, thanks, Sherm.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:19 pm

crs wrote:One of those "Let's have fun with this" topics. At the top of my list would be the Electric Light Orchestra (ELO). Their unique fusion of rock and strings has never been duplicated. FYI the brains behind ELO, Jeff Lynne, is STILL not in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. Can someone explain why??

Anybody else got a dream band that needs to tour? Let's keep it to realistic reunions (i.e.: only 2 living Beatles makes a reunion tour impossible).

I'm with crs... an ELO reunion (to the same standard as their late 70's hits) would be at the top of my list!
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:23 pm

I don't know if this would count as a "dream band", but since I would not have been old enough to see them play... I'd really enjoy seeing Oingo Boingo perform live. I guess Danny Elfman makes enough money scoring movies these days, but still...

Otherwise I'm sure I'm with everyone else who wishes Floyd or Zeppelin would just put aside differences in their respective groups and get together for one more tour.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 pm

The Beagles.

(remaining Beatles and Eagles)
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Hallicrafters » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:03 am

Allied to this it would be interesting to see a graph of record sales since the 1950's. (I can't find one on-line) IMHO Music seems to have peaked as far as number of artists and number of hits in the late 60's. Perhaps that was the peak of our society, apparently wages have been stagnant since 1970 when you take inflation out of the picture.

Last super group that I know of is U2, nothing since?

I've been listening to Rewound Radio on line, (they have a new jingle package and the annoying owner is no longer voicing) I am really struck by the music that they play; that is not being played on commercial radio. e.g. When did you last hear the guitar virtuoso Jorgan Ingmann and Apache and hundred of other instrumentals? If you want 50's 60's 70's Rewound are deep, in the number of selections. Songs I had nearly forgotten are being played, check it out and tell me what you think. I also notice the number of songs of that era that used philharmonic sounding musicians in the b.g. You have to pay for quality I guess.

The weakness today seems to be the lack of using real union musicians to "sweeten" the sound. Great music comes from great artists, not from synthesized, computer generated instrumentation, or I'm getting old and Snoops music will soon be the muzak in the Mall.

The other weakness is the lack of passion for music, but large radio corporations and passion? I'm not sure they even know what that is.

Just cause you can make something cheaper doesn't make it better.
Hallicrafters

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:13 am

The Who could use a drummer and bassist.

The Beatles ARE a drummer and a bassist.

"The Whotles"
T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:27 am

The Who Beats has a nice ring to it.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:46 am

I can hear Ed Sullivan saying it now!
Right here on our stage! Ladies and gentlemen....." The Beat-Who's " !!

:wink:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:46 am

and get the lookalike from the Billy Joel Tell Her About it Video...
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Music Notes