Never on CD, now on the Internet

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Postby jon » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:52 pm

It is certainly not widespread, but I find it interesting that some LPs that never made it to CD are now available for download. Mostly it is independent artists who have managed to own the rights to their LP releases (unheard of concept: artists, not record labels, owning the rights to their music).

And you don't get some ugly transcription off vinyl, but something that was clearly from the original masters.

This comes to mind as I listen to one of four late '60s/early '70s Jake Holmes LPs that I got as high quality MP3 off emusic.com a year ago. Jake is better known for writing an entire album for Frank Sinatra than he is as a sole artist. You may recognize his voice, though, as he used to sing Delco commercials that were aired on TV for quite a while in the '70s.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:21 pm

jonedmonton wrote: It is certainly not widespread, but I find it interesting that some LPs that never made it to CD are now available for download.

Got any links to these nuggets ? or is it search Google to find.
PMC

Postby jon » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:12 pm

emusic doesn't appear to provide a search facility on their home page anymore. I thought that you might have to sign up to even look, but a quick google proved my fears were unfounded. Here is the Jake Holmes page: http://www.emusic.com/artist/11544/11544005.html It also provides a Search facility to the entire site.

Puretracks.com has Radio mixes and unreleased acoustic versions of some relatively recent CanCon hits (e.g. - Jacksoul and Ron Sexsmith). And has really improved their Oldies coverage.

Both sites can provide formats that are usable after your subscription lapses. emusic only provides unprotected MP3. With puretracks, you have to burn a CD from Windows Media Player, and then Digital Audio Extract it to get unprotected .wav.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes