Jazz pianist George Shearing dies at 91

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Postby radiofan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:47 pm

By JAKE COYLE
AP Entertainment Writer

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 4-13-04-59
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Jazz pianist George Shearing dies at 91

Postby jon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:52 pm

Well, I guess I can finally admit it, without fear of George hearing me and becoming offended: during my year at CHQM (and time at CJAT immediately after, where I also worked on the FM side) from 1971-72, it was the current albums of George Shearing and Andre Kostelanetz that I found hardest to listen to when the playlist I was given included them.

During this period, they and many other artists did instrumental cover versions of recent Top 40 hits. They just seemed to take the heart and soul right out of the songs they played.

Admittedly, neither of them was responsible for what I consider the worst instrumental cover I ever heard: "Spinning Wheel". Without words, the song is just so boring.

A quick look at the Whitburn album books shows a version by Tony Mottola. CHQM played a lot of Tony's work, but I think they opted for a version from a Canadian Talent Library album so it would qualify as CanCon, which meant frequent airplay, as I'm guessing Tony's version wouldn't qualify.

Admittedly, I was spoiled, as Jurgen Goth was choosing the music most of the time I was at CHQM, and there was a lot of stuff I've heard others complain about that never crossed my path.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes