How 'Wildflower' bloomed on West Coast

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Postby radiofan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:05 am

By John P. McLaughlin, The Province April 3, 2011

It is earworm of the first order. You very likely don’t know it’s called “Wildflower” but you certainly know the big hook line that will bury itself deep into your neocortex and resist any and every attempt at extrication.

Henna one, henna two, henna

. . . “Let her CRYYYEE ’cause she’s a la-dyyy, Let her DREE -EEEM for SHEEE’S a chi-ild.”

Yes, that one. Composed at a Hammond organ in a quiet North Van basement almost 40 years ago, the song went No. 1 in Canada and top 10 in the U.S. on its original release and has been covered by some 70 artists over the years, like Johnny Mathis, Hank Crawford and the O’Jays, and more latterly sampled by a bunch more, including Kanye West.

On Saturday, “Wildflower” was inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame in Toronto attended by one Doug Edwards, the guy who sat at that organ, and Valley Hennell, self-described “Wildflower” protectress. She’s been guarding the song’s progress from the beginning.

Vancouver in 1972 was a very different place than today. There were a lot less people, Granville Island was an industrial mess and all that soaring glass downtown had yet to be trucked in. Food-wise it was Chinese, pizza and beef. That’s it.

A group called Skylark was coalescing around Edwards and a young Victoria couple, singer B.J. Cook and an immensely talented and ambitious young David Foster, recently decamped from Ronnie Hawkins’ band. Seems Rompin’ Ronnie didn’t think much of Foster’s stiff stage presence and fired his ass so here they both were, back on the coast and putting their own band together. There would eventually be a dozen members of Skylark over its 24-month lifespan.

Dave Richardson was a rookie Saanich policeman, part-time poet and an old friend of Foster’s. When he heard there was a new band starting up he knew they’d be needing material and mailed over a sheaf of his poetry. Foster told the rest of the players about the poems, dropped them on a table and left it at that. Eventually Edwards pulled a sheet out at random, sat down at the Hammond organ and started noodling.

“It took a while, you kinda have to sit and wait for the inspiration to strike and then you just proceed,” says Edwards. “I don’t really remember the process, I just sorta remember doing it, thinking this is a nice melody, maybe I can go to this chord or this chord. Yeah, it is a nice melody. It’s certainly stood the test of time.”

It was Cook who landed the group a U.S. recording contract with Capitol Records — an amazing coup — and before long Skylark were in Los Angeles, making their first record. When it came time to tape “Wildflower,” both David Foster and Vancouver organ legend Robbie King took a pass playing keys on the song and walked away, unable to give it anything.

The bed tracks we hear of drums, bass and Edwards’ flawless, searing guitar are actually the first run-through of the song. “The heavens opened up,” Edwards says today. Donny Gerard’s lead vocals and all harmonies and colour instruments were overdubbed later.

Meanwhile Vancouver’s Valley Hennell was in Ibiza teaching people how to sail. A few years earlier she had attended UBC, where she befriended Anne Mortifee. The two began writing songs together and Hennell went about setting up small local concerts.

While in Ibiza, who should turn up but Mortifee, accompanied by Doug Edwards, who told her about this little song he had out that was doing quite well, “Wildflower.” Hennell asked him what he had earned from the song and he gave a paltry figure.

Back in Vancouver that fall she ran into Edwards again, asked again how the song was earning and was persuaded he was being ripped off. She made a deal she would share in whatever she could claw back.

And so she plunged into the arcane world of song publishing. Indeed Edwards and Richardson had signed away their copyright and Hennell managed to get that back eventually. She wrestled back a piece of the publishing Foster had sold off. She’s been a real den mother for “Wildflower.”

“Within two years this song had a very big life,” says Hennell. “And it’s a fine curve thing, it rises and falls. It doesn’t consistently earn but over the four decades I’ve worked with it, just when we think it’s over, the Golden Goose lays another egg. The main beneficiaries are the writers and I can tell you, it’s better than CPP.”

jpmac@gmx.net

© Copyright (c) The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Wildflo ... z1IZSM6Kp5
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: How 'Wildflower' bloomed on West Coast

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:06 am

Coincidentally, I saw and heard Donnie Gerrard just about a year ago at Jazz Alley here in Seattle performing as back up vocalist for Mavis Staples; so much in the background that I didn't even recognize him. Good that this talented man is still out there though, and touring with Mavis Staples is no small honor.
I also have a few degrees of connection with Allan Mix who was last in the string of multiple guitarists that played for Skylark. Some of you with Alberta connections might remember his history with groups like Barry Allan's Cheyenne Winter. He now lives in L.A.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:00 am

Thanks for that as I have always been working on the mistaken understanding that David was the sole writer/composer/producer of that wunnerful record.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:20 pm

David Foster = small anecdote.

David is from Victoria.

He was a wunderkind.

We knew it.

Junior Band - Lansdowne Junior High School - David played Bassoon! * He was also so brilliant, Mr. Bergeson, the music teacher would let David conduct the school band in rehearsal.

I know, I was the world's worst trumpet player - in the same menagerie. Practicing marching for the May Day parade, playing the same six songs for a year....ahhh the memories

Ah, yeah - he was just amazing and I have always been proud of him.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:26 pm

A friend of mine saw this thread and passed on some information he found years ago when he was researching the song.

Many years earlier, in an interview, "Wildflower" lyricist Dave Richardson described how he wrote the words:

In 1970 I was dating a nurse, whom I would eventually marry in 1971 (it only lasted four years, though - we were both not ready for such a commitment). One night I went to pick her up at her apartment, as we had planned on going out. When she opened the door I saw that she was upset to the point of tears. She still had a housecoat on and had her hair wrapped in a towel after a shower. She told me that two elderly ladies she had been caring for in the hospital had died that day at work, and she felt terribly sad about it, as she had come to know them fairly well over a period of time. Anyway, she more or less vented her feelings and I just listened. After she was finished, she thanked me for listening, and said she would get ready for our date. She went into the bedroom and closed the door, and I sat and watched TV waiting for her to come out. When she didn’t return, I knocked on the door but she didn’t answer, so I went in to find her fast asleep on the bed, still in her housecoat and with the towel still wrapped around her head. I guess she was just exhausted after her emotional day. So, I put a blanket over her, being careful not to wake her, and went home and wrote the song in about fifteen minutes or so. It was absolutely inspired. I have always felt that all I did was hold the pen in my hand, and that God did the writing. The “Be careful how you touch her, for she’ll awaken” part, refers to when I put the blanket over her. “The way she’s always paying, for a debt she never owes…” - It wasn’t her fault that the two ladies had died, and yet she felt so badly for them that she was crying.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes