Singer-songwriter Phoebe Snow, 58, has died

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Singer-songwriter Phoebe Snow, 58, has died

Postby Steve Sanderson » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:59 am

Phoebe Snow, the distinctively voiced singer-songwriter who penned the ’70s radio staple “Poetry Man” and toured with the likes of Jackson Browne, Steely Dan’s Donald Fagen, and Paul Simon (she appeared on his hit “Gone at Last”), has passed away following complications from a 2010 brain hemorrhage. She was 58.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/04/26/phoebe-snow-dies/
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Re: Singer-songwriter Phoebe Snow, 58, has died

Postby jon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:06 am

Hard to believe that I was about the same age as Phoebe Snow. Of course, there have been musicians younger than me who have died. Michael Jackson being the obvious example.

But being so young when I did my last on-air gig means that I never consciously played (on air) an artist who was younger than I was. Especially given that I never played a Jackson Five record -- they were banned at my only Top 40 station gig.

Well, now I know one: Phoebe Snow. Sad to hear of her death.

The New York Times claims she was capable of singing in four octaves.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 am

Her obit mentions that she did commercial jingles. This is an oft-remembered promo song for WDIV-TV Detroit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_2UvjR8pGI
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby groundwave » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:02 pm

What an unforgettable voice. It was always a treat to hear her songs on the radio. I truly envy anyone that had a chance to see her perform live.

Curious... A story from Reuters posted on Sun Media's CANOE site reports her as passing at age 60, not 58.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2011/04/26/18068596-wenn-story.html
groundwave
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:30 pm

groundwave wrote:What an unforgettable voice. It was always a treat to hear her songs on the radio. I truly envy anyone that had a chance to see her perform live.

Absolutely agree !
PMC

Postby radiofan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:23 am

groundwave wrote:
Curious... A story from Reuters posted on Sun Media's CANOE site reports her as passing at age 60, not 58.

Yesterday, Wikipedia had her birth date as July 12, 1952, today it says 1950. Her website www.phoebesnow.com says 1952, so she was either 58 or, depending on who you believe.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:57 am

radiofan wrote:
groundwave wrote:

Yesterday, Wikipedia had her birth date as July 12, 1952, today it says 1950. Her website http://www.phoebesnow.com says 1952, so she was either 58 or, depending on who you believe.

And do we even know if Phoebe was her real name? (and yes, I see the irony in that cmoment)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sun May 01, 2011 8:19 am

CBS Sunday Morning did a very nice piece on Phoebe Snow today. Snow wasn't her real last name. Linda Ronstad was a good friend and the video showed them working together.
PMC

Postby hagopian » Sun May 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Had the pleasure of being Ms. Snow's emcee - and she was a real swetie. Unaffected. Maybe naive. She was star struck > and think she was shocked she had such a big hit. I think one of the reasons that I am deaf, is listening to some of those Phoebe High notes.

The Choir up there must be something else!!!

Miss Snow was professional and to a schnook like me > very kind and real.

RIP, Ms. High Notes.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Music Notes