What was the first LP you bought?

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Re: What was the first LP you bought?

Postby J Kendrick » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 pm

Cream's "Goodbye" and CCR's "Bayou Country"... bought in Seattle for the princely sum of $3.00 each...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm

I was 13 when I bought my first LPs on a family trip to Disneyland. My dad wanted to get some new casettes to play in the car, so I went with him to Tower Records in Anaheim. I forget what he got,
but I came out of the store with Private Dancer by Tina Turner and Building The Perfect Beast by Don Henley.

I still love both of those albums 27 years later.

:cat2:
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:17 pm

I don't know for sure, but I just went through "the most likely suspects" that I think I bought while they were still current, and the oldest is "The Who Sell Out". As well as the music, I also wanted the "Wonderful Radio London" jingles that are included between songs. Pirate radio fascinated me at the time. The fake commercials they did are also fascinating listening.

But that only wins by a technicality. The first LP that someone bought for me, at my request, was "My Son The Nut" by Allan Sherman. That is not as obscure as you might think. It was #1 on the Billboard album charts for 8 weeks in mid-1963. Thank you, Grandmother!
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:44 pm

The gray matter remembers buying 78's and 45's from 1958 and after.... bought a Beaumarks Clap Your Hands, and Roy Orbison lp for teen high school dj use...the first Beatle album I believe was an english Beatle release in 1964-5, and came from a shop in Nicosia, Cyprus. The album was never released in north america, and was called Beatles For Sale. http://www.norwegianwood.org/beatles/di ... /4sale.jpg It and many others disappeared with the all the singles in various moves. At one point I carried all the 45's on broom sticks :tail
PMC

Postby TVNewsman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:56 pm

First was Duke Ellington, The Seattle Concert.
Second was a four disc set Stan Kenton, Artistry in Rhythm
Third was Michelle LeGrand - Castles in Spain
Fourth was The Hot Club of Paris
TVNewsman
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:03 pm

First Beatle LP - got it in Bakersfield California - as we were on a trip in CA at the time. 1964.

First single "Danny Boy" - Conway Twitty - 1958?
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Neil Young's "After The Gold Rush" at the end of summer in 1970, the start of grade 10.
I think I still have it.
:groovy:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 pm

What a great topic! I had bought a few 45s, but made the move to albums the day Sgt. Pepper's hit the LP rack at my local McLEOD's store in June of 1967.

I still have my original Mono copy and it plays just fine. I even have the insert that came with it.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:37 pm

To paraphrase Mike's experience: Whaddya mean "bought"!?

When I was at the radio station, I was so young I still had a tail! Free everything!

The first '45 I ever stole from the store, however was "When" by the Kalin Twins. (Flip side: Three O'clock Thrill".)

I got over it. The guilt, I mean. Not necessarily the behaviour. :bag:
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Donald R » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:16 pm

My very first 45 was The Day The Rains Came by Jane Morgan and I hate to admit it, but my very first LP, which I still have, was a compilation of Elvis tunes by a guy called BIG ROSS. What did I know? I saw ELVIS and it wasn't until I got it home and on the record player that I realized it was not Elvis singing. I was 10.

My next 45 was Charlie Brown by the Coasters and then the dam broke and I bought at least one 45 a week, depending on what was in the top 10 on the survey from (I think it was 'WX). Melody Music at Broadway and McDonald.

I also remember buying a Bill Cosby album way back in time - the one with Noah's Ark on it! Still funny today.
Donald R
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Thanks for keeping the thread alive, Donald!

For a moment, I was contemplating starting a new thread to see who remembers when they made the transition to other forms, typically CDs, by asking what the last LP you bought was?

But then I realized that many of us have picked up used LPs to play, or just as momentos, in the last 5 years. In my own case, it was Ray Conniff's "Greatest Hits of Yesterday and Today". Zero interest in the music, but I just wanted to have a piece of a radio station's record library, in this case, CHQT's. 50 cents at a local used record store.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:32 pm

Let's turn this thread on its head: what was the last LP you bought?

Mine was U2's Rattle and Hum.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:07 pm

I'm not sure, but it might have been David Bowie's "Scary Monsters". Definitely a late Bowie album anyway.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Donald R » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:30 pm

Asking what the last album I bought is easy to answer. I "invested" in 7 boxed sets of 6 to 7 LP's in each set of music from the 50's, 60's and early 70's from Readers Digest. Those are the last records I ever bought, and I still have them in almost pristine condition.

I purchased a couple of new turntables last year to compliment my system and have digitized many tracks from old albums I have around the house. I use Audacity which cleans up the music enough to make it listenable and can save to either WAV format or MP3, depending on where the music is being used. The turntables can plug directly into a USB port although I run them through a mixer first, then into the USB port.

I subscribe to the theory that the guy with the most toys at the end wins, and am just doing my part to keep in the running.
Donald R
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:21 am

I'd so far hesitated weighing in on the topic as I simply could not recall what was the first LP I purchased.
Like Mike and others here I started radio at a very young age and got a lot of my vinyl free of charge or simply "borrowed" from the library.
I remember the first LP I received as a gift however; that would have been the "Girls,Girls,Girls" movie soundtrack by Elvis.
Like Donald, it's very possible that the first LP I actually paid for may have been a comedy disc; likely Bill Cosby or Allan Sherman.
I also owned a copy of "You Won't Believe Your Ears". by comedian/voice actor/human sound effects genius Wes Harrison.
Laughed my 10 year old ass off listening to that one over and over and, last I heard, he's still with us at 86 years old and still performing the state fair circuit.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Music Notes