What was the first LP you bought?

Anything to do with the world of music...old or new

Re: What was the first LP you bought?

Postby PMC » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:13 pm

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA, Joni Mitchell - Dog Eat Dog and the Beatles White Album at HMV at the North Hill Mall in Calgary was the last vinyl... about 15 years ago.

I did not start buying alot of music CD's until the mid 90's. I had several computer CD players, but did not enjoy the sound as much as I did with vinyl. Then one day I found a CD player that had a decent preamp, and began buying them, most of which came from the same HMV in Calgary. About two hundred of my CD's are dupes of the same vinyl... the above Joni Mitchell being one of them, many of the Beatle albums etc. I have digitized many to mp3, and my Winamp player holds over a thousand... 76 hours and fifty four minutes worth to be exact, and will grow as time permits. The existing file list fits just right on one DVD disc as a backup.

Some artists have different versions of tunes from the vinyl to CD... Dire Straits being a good example.

The only video CD that I have is Pink Floyd's - The Wall, which is the movie. The audio and video is excellent.. assuming that you are a fan of Pink.....if you have never heard `Wish you were here' that won't be funny :lol:

For those that create mp3's and not aware. Create file folders and have a maximum size of 650 megabytes, so that all can be burned to a CDR disc or make the folder size under four gigabytes to use a DVD as a backup disc. The size of a folder can be found by right clicking on the folder and selecting `Properties'.
PMC

Postby pave » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:39 am

As the thread moves along.... my favourite LP that was not a hit was and continues to be "Holland" by The Beach Boys, although "Sail On Sailor" was one of the cuts. I think it sold a couple dozen copies - mostly to relatives and therapists. :)
pave
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:12 pm

pave wrote:As the thread moves along.... my favourite LP that was not a hit was and continues to be "Holland" by The Beach Boys, although "Sail On Sailor" was one of the cuts. I think it sold a couple dozen copies - mostly to relatives and therapists. :)

This will explain what you assume others already know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland_(album)
PMC

Postby pave » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:43 pm

To the contrary, I presume most folks wouldn't have that album in the foreground of their mental library at all. It is rare that I run into somebody who, when I mention the album, doesn't say: "Huh?"

Thanks, though, for the Wiki-leak. :)

And for those who may be willing, "Holland" is a stunning effort of Beach Boy lyric, melody, harmony, singing, instrumentation, arrangements and production. It makes me wonder why I even bother with my own gear.

And this was in 1972, fer cryin' out loud! :occasion4: :canflag1:
pave
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:14 pm

Wow. Memories. "Holland" and Jerry Garcia's first solo effort were dust magnets in the mucic library when I started my first fulltime gig. Not so after I was given musical leeway on the overnight show thoough. And we must have had half a dozen promo 45s of "Sail on Sailor",still in their Reprise paper jackets,dumped in the "extras" box.
"Sure, take what you want,we won't play/need/eat it!". Music to any junior jock's ears. ;-)
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:26 pm

pave wrote:And this was in 1972, fer cryin' out loud!

1972 was an EPIC year in recent music history;

Neil Young released "Harvest"
Yes released "Not Fragile" early in the year (Nov '71 in Britain - Jan '72 in America) and "Close To The Edge" in the fall.
Jethro Tull released "Thick As A Brick"
The Rolling Stones gave us "Exile On Main Street", arguably their last truly great album
Bowie / Ziggy Stardust...need one say more?
American Pie, the single, by Don McLean
Taxi, the single, by Harry Chapin
Doctor My Eyes, the single, by Jackson Browne
The Eagles appeared on the scene and were still at least a decade away from over-staying their welcome (still won't take the hint).
...and still riding the success of a late 1971 release of "Madman Across The Water" and the 1972 release of "Honky Chateau", Elton John had not quite yet begun to stink. (Okay, admittedly, with Levon and Tiny Dancer, "Madman" was far superior. The slide may have well begun with Honky Cat).
And the best was yet to be. Pink Floyd spent the summer of 1972 at Abbey Road recording "Dark Side of the Moon"

Finally, to channel all of this, CKLW, KHJ, WABC, WLS, WCFL, CHUM, KFRC, KCBQ, KJR and a few others I've probably overlooked were all delivering the goods with blow-torch signals and thousand mile long chem-trails.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:49 pm

Hear hear. And top-forty had a hugely varied AM year in 1972,with so many different types of musicians catching on. Singer-songwriters of both genders and all colors,Britpop, and rock-and-soul bands,including some pre-disco funk. Country crossover acts,golden oldie remakes,and the sounds of unburnt Can-Con. Amazing sounds.Take it Easy,Long Cool Woman, Guitar Man, Rock and Roll,and Brandy were huge pop hits that spring/summer.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:Yes released "Not Fragile" early in the year (Nov '71 in Britain - Jan '72 in America)

Sorry, that should read "Fragile"
"Not Fragile" by BTO was a couple of years later.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby NoRecordSnobs » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
NoRecordSnobs.com
NoRecordSnobs

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:40 pm

My first LP was Madness by Madness, and my second was Sports by Huey Lewis & the News. Got 'em both at the old Kmart in Port Alberni.
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Music Notes