Seattle's first full PPM

Seattle Arbitron Ratings

Seattle's first full PPM

Postby radiofan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:53 pm

June 09 Seattle Arbitron PPM 6+

from All Access. For full results : All Access.com [Signin required]
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Seattle's first full PPM

Postby Russ_Byth » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:52 pm

What happened to perennial top-5 KIRO? Certainly big pickups for others... KJR??? Wow!
Is KUOW a new station, or is this an example of some of the weird extremes that PPMs could show?
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:57 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:What happened to perennial top-5 KIRO? Certainly big pickups for others... KJR??? Wow!

Wow is right. With the exception of KOMO and whatever the University does, it's music music music for Seattle. :shock:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:40 pm

KIRO 710 (ESPN Sports) came in at #19 while KIRO 97.3 with the News-Talk format that used to be on 710 held the #20 position.

KUOW is the NPR station from the University of Washington. It's been around for years.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:45 pm

Dan Sys wrote:KIRO 710 (ESPN Sports) came in at #19 while KIRO 97.3 with the News-Talk format that used to be on 710 held the #20 position.

KUOW is the NPR station from the University of Washington. It's been around for years.

Interesting Dan... thanks! I wonder why the NPR station would suddenly show up with a 3+ share... and apparently hold it.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:
Dan Sys wrote:KIRO 710 (ESPN Sports) came in at #19 while KIRO 97.3 with the News-Talk format that used to be on 710 held the #20 position.

Interesting Dan... thanks! I wonder why the NPR station would suddenly show up with a 3+ share... and apparently hold it.

KUOW has actually dropped in ranking a bit with PPM. There was occasions in the past year or two where it was actually #1 in the market.

In the days of the diary, Arbitron didn't release non-commercial stations numbers along with regular stations.

It would be like CBC not appearing in the regular BBM ratings releases.

Interesting note about the #1 station. KJR-FM runs a more music morning show, it is jockless. JACK-FM [KJAQ] which is tied for #7 is 100% jockless like most
US JACK stations.

As for KIRO, when it moved to FM earlier this year, their upper demo audience didn't follow. With the N/T format, they used to own the older demos (kind of like NW).
That audience has rewarded KIRO for deserting them. Nice numbers for All-News KOMO without The Mariners this year.

Having the Mariners seems to be all that has kept KIRO-AM from being #30!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:13 pm

radiofan wrote:
Russ_Byth wrote:

KUOW has actually dropped in ranking a bit with PPM. There was occasions in the past year or two where it was actually #1 in the market.

In the days of the diary, Arbitron didn't release non-commercial stations numbers along with regular stations.

It would be like CBC not appearing in the regular BBM ratings releases.

Interesting note about the #1 station. KJR-FM runs a more music morning show, it is jockless. JACK-FM [KJAQ] which is tied for #7 is 100% jockless like most
US JACK stations.

As for KIRO, when it moved to FM earlier this year, their upper demo audience didn't follow. With the N/T format, they used to own the older demos (kind of like NW).
That audience has rewarded KIRO for deserting them. Nice numbers for All-News KOMO without The Mariners this year.

Having the Mariners seems to be all that has kept KIRO-AM from being #30!

Ah yes, the old 'you don't count because you don't have commercials' thing. That's why we keep you around RF! Jockless music radio morning show.... with technology like Scott it CAN, and HAS been done. Guess time checks aren't all they were cracked up to be with everyone having something wireless with a clock attached to them now. :cheers:
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Every kid gets a trophy. All the stations on the list had increases from last Summer. Looks like PPM's are good for business.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:38 am

I listen to KUOW and it's NPR counterpart KPLU quite a lot but I'm not surprised that they slip much lower in PPM rankings as compared to diary-fueled Arbitron measurements.
Like CBC in a lot of Canadian markets, I suspect that people who are actually putting it in writing, claim to listen to "smart" radio more than the really do simply to feel...well...smart!
I know that, in my case anyway, after maybe an hour of continuous commentary on something like the Sonya Sotomayor confirmation hearings, my brain says: "Enough of this". and my fingers punch in KZOK or (yes, the number one rated PPM station) KJR.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:06 pm

It was ever thus, Neumann!
People in Toronto claimed they bought and read the Globe and Mail while they really were buying the Sun for it's scantily clad Sunshine Girl or Boy and the juicy gossip columns.
Theyr'e the same sort who claim they listen to the CBC's latest dissertation on "The Sex Life of Tree Frogs" instead of Bro Jake's fart jokes.
It's the nature of the beast.
People want to appear to be more intelligent than they are but they really like s**t such as TMZ and Entertainment Tonight.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby DJ Specs » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Ya, I knew a guy who did the dairy and he marked down he listened to CKNW all the time, which was a lie, and most of the time he listened to CHQM. Totally unreliable system. These new PPM are great, cuz it's alot harder to lie, unless you leave the radio on all night with the meter beside it.
What a sly guy... Radio Vibes..
DJ Specs
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:04 pm

...or a captive listener when inside a store or business that is playing a radio :!:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle