A note to mr sykes

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

A note to mr sykes

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:45 pm

"Let’s go back to 1991-2001 when the NDP governed BC. They were, even by the standards set by the Vander Zalm government before them, pretty awful. Every political pundit in the province, including me, held their tootsies firmly to the flame for that decade. Especially expert in their shots were columnists, one of whom brought them down almost single-handedly over the “Fastcat” ferries and Mr. Clark's naivete over a gambling licence.

Now it's 2001-20010 and Gordon Campbell is in power and almost in the drive home from government gives a huge tax rebate to better off folks. The bumbling and fumbling, the loss of BC Ferries, BC Rail and the virtual bankruptcy of BC Hydro made Glen Clark’s misdeeds look liked childish pranks. It’s been a decade of paying off political pals, resulting in the government that was supposed to be fiscally superior more than tripled the real provincial debt.

The zealous media that thrashed the NDP has become a snoozing, slothful syndicate of political poodles reporting only that which simply couldn’t be ignored as news; the ignoring being done on a daily basis by the same columnists who did their duty and then some during the NDP years."

John - who wrote these words and do you relate to them?

My point - you may say the NDP are all bad but even right wing people think Campbell and his ilk were bad leaving a crumbling government under C. Clark.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: A note to mr sykes

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Did you get that from somewhere counsellor, or did you just make it up?

Seems like you have a personal beef with something he said, why bring it here?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:32 am

Sykes has posted many comments about the NDP years on this board.

The quote is from a broadcaster Rafe Mair, former Social Credit Minister. I think it was a good use of the space
in comparison to what you do not contribute here.

Now I will go back to having you on ignore howaboutthisandthat :bag:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Jack.....let me say this about that.

It seems I am willing and able to admit to several things.....

1. The NDP appears to want the current government to spend more on every conceivable thing they can think of.

2. The Liberal government appears to have no clue about where to spend and where to cut back.

3. What the hell is it with B.C. politics.....it seems other provinces can keep a lid on things, although people in the other nine provinces are bitching about their petty needs too.

4. This country has been run by the Liberals for so many years....actually far too many. When the Tories get in, the Libs immediately demand this and that.....I ask, why didn't they do it when they were in power.

5. The Canadian public is being over-taxed beyond belief....at both levels.....because the public demands so much too.

That case in Northern Ontario regarding the First Nations group that I can't spell, never mind pronounce....what did they do with the 50-million they were given by Ottawa? I'd be asking that rather loudly. Just how much does it cost to install a running water system when the place is virtually on the edge of water! It's time someone took charge of paying out untold millions top any group, aboriginal or otherwise.

There, Jack, I've said my piece. Now lets get back to regular programming.

Sykes
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:43 am

Regular programming is boring John.

I read your response with interest but nothing from you about what rafe said.

The truth is - up and down cycles come and go and often a left or right government
gets hit with the statistics.

The Harcourt/Clark reign is no worse than the Campbell/Clark time.

Or the Vanderzalm/Johnson years.

Two best governments in my mind:
Barrett for all the changes that remain today
Bennett, Jr. for his job well done and getting out unscathed
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:47 am

johnsykes wrote:...What the hell is it with B.C. politics.....it seems other provinces can keep a lid on things.

I recall an old saying regarding politics in Canada.
In Ontario, it's a business
In Quebec, it's a religion
In B.C., it's cabaret.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:05 am

In some of the other provinces, provincial politics is just plain boring since the same party has won for all or nearly all of the elections for nearly half a century at a pop.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:10 am

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:
johnsykes wrote:...What the hell is it with B.C. politics.....it seems other provinces can keep a lid on things.

I recall an old saying regarding politics in Canada.
In Ontario, it's a business
In Quebec, it's a religion
In B.C., it's cabaret.

I have the complete quote at home...it's in the accompanying text to a Roy Peterson cartoon collection.

I think it's...

In the Maritimes, it's a disease.
In Ontario, it's a business.
In Quebec, it's a religion.
In the Prairies, it's a protest.
In B.C., it's entertainment.
T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Yep, that's how it goes. Thanks for filling in the blanks.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste